• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Height for wheel clearance issues

Hey all,

hope everyone had a good New Year. I have a question that has been bugging me for awhile. I have a decent amount of bumper clearance when normally driving my XJ. However, whenever I make sharp turns (or sometimes any turns!) my front tires will bang and scrape up against the lower lip of my front end caps. It's not a huge deal, but it makes a terrible noise and I don't really know what to do about it other than trim them or replace them.

And while I'd like to avoid doing either, is there any solution other than maybe get coil spacers for the front to just give it enough clearance that it doesn't scrape when I back out (or into) my driveway? Again, it's just very annoying and I would trim them or replace them with the pre-97 end caps but my stock engine shield thing is intact and I don't want to cut into that (stupid, I know)...

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys! And if anyone wants some free beer and pizza, I'm off for spring break next week and I'd love to finally get those damn hella's hooked up and maybe even my grille/brush guard installed!

You're options are pretty much trim them. You can lift taller, but that has other complications, and you'll just catch them again when you stuff the suspension.

Proper wheels and bumpstops should fix you right up.You could also adjust your steering stops.
I also trimmed my bumper caps,you couldn't even tell.

Proper wheels and bumpstops should fix you right up.You could also adjust your steering stops.

Very civil:angel:

What wheels and backspacing would I need? I currently have 15" Rock crawlers and I'm not 100% sure of the b/s but I think it's 3.75.

As far as trimming goes, do you have any pics of yours? I would prefer to keep my factory fogs, but not sure what I'd need to trim, as the only pics I've seen of trimmed end caps involve cutting that whole area out...

Thanks in advance!

Back