• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ d30 and XJ d30 the same?

RBFab

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
Well I broke one of the little 260 u-joints in my '90 Cherokee doin some snow bashin'.Now I need to replace that axle obviously,so I figure while I'm at it I'm just gonna upgrade both sides to the bigger u-joint 297/760 axles.Since I wanna go with a non-disco axle anyway I was wondering if Grand Cherokee d30's are the same as the XJ d30's?This is probably a stupid question but I've never been sure if they're the same width.I'm just trying to expand my options for the junkyard crawl.Also do all ZJ axles have the 297/760 joint?

thanks guys
BB

I think if you find a 97+ xj you will get the stronger joints. Im sorry I dont know much about the zj's. I would imagine it being the same.

yeah i know of that option just cant find any in JY. seems to me the grands look exactly the same. thanks

Are you going to replace the shafts, or the whole axle? ZJ's are low pinion, so you would be downgrading if you switched the housings.

Did you break the joint or the axle shaft? You can also do an ABS shaft swap, they have the larger joints.

I hear of guys swapping out the knuckles all the time in the WJ's but not the shafts? I'm assuming they are the same. Just like the TJ's, you could also do that.
I have an extra set of each....I saw a post somewhere on here someone had a set of shafts for $100.

breaking the joint on the stock shafts absolutely annihilates the shaft! No hope of re-use! And yeah Im just replacing the shafts.Never noticed ZJ's were low pinion,hmm guess i've never REALLY looked.

Hey all,
Well I broke one of the little 260 u-joints in my '90 Cherokee doin some snow bashin'.Now I need to replace that axle obviously,so I figure while I'm at it I'm just gonna upgrade both sides to the bigger u-joint 297/760 axles.Since I wanna go with a non-disco axle anyway I was wondering if Grand Cherokee d30's are the same as the XJ d30's?This is probably a stupid question but I've never been sure if they're the same width.I'm just trying to expand my options for the junkyard crawl.Also do all ZJ axles have the 297/760 joint?

thanks guys
BB

noooo ZJs are low pinion and some have CV axles, if they dont have CV axles they have 260 joints. just grab some spare shafts

Back