• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Noise

nmcommando

NAXJA Forum User
Well my jeep is making a weird clicking type noise whenever i slow down to a stop and you can hear it when i speed up to this noise has nothing to do with my motor because it occurs when im being pulled with the transmission in neutral. Also this noise becomes twice as bad when i put it in four wheel drive and starts an almost grinding noise. The noise gets even worse when it is under stress like climbing a hill.

Front drive line ok? Front axels? I had a similer thing but it was mager. it was the front ring and pinion gears out of spec. How many miles?

The Jeep has ver 200 thousand on it and i noticed that i can get under it and move the front drive shaft and get a similiar noise could it just be the u joints also there is a large hole in the breather hose from my front diff.

The hole tells me the front gears and bearings could be worn from mud and water entering the diff through that hole. The drive shaft movement could be from those gears and bearings being worn.

you will have to take the front cover off, see whats going on inside and change that hose.

Let me know :wave1:

Well i finally got around to it and i just took the front drive shaft off the noise has quit all together and i had a bad vibration at about 35 before and now it is gone got any ideas about that

Back