• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cold air intakes?

are you looking for a kit or a DIY?

The what ever you do you want a DRY filter (not oil like K&N, for dust reasons) and a heat shield to keep it from pulling in hot air from the exhaust.

A Snorkle is one of the best ways to get "cold" air. The other mods are removing the bug shield (a plastic plate behind the driver side head light) enlarging the hole on the stock box and dropping in a high flow cotton filter. every thing else will either take in mroe hot air and be counter productive.

uh go get an aem dry flow and take off your air box and put the air intake on the end of the tube. thats it.

Why do you want to get a "cold" air intake?

Most DIY is actually a Hot air intake and will do next to nothing for power gains (unless you build your own heat shield)....

Unless you do the cowl intake. Probably less than $10, cold air (kinda), better water avoidance, better airflow (maybe).
Remove and seal off the existing intake on the airbox. Obtain two plastic hose flanges along with a few feet of 3" air ducting. Cut and install one flange on side of airbox and the other in the cowl directly in front of driver (need to cut hole in sheet metal cowl). Make sure the cowl flange is an inch or so above bottom of inner cowl to prevent water from running into duct hose.
The hardest part is locating the flanges. I went to JY and removed from waggy for $5.

i got a homemade one on mine can deffinatly tell a difference in throttle response for me the biggest help they give is that the stock air filter/intake style is very constrictive

Has anyone here made a heat shield for a cone style intake like the K&N style shield? I plan to build one in the next week or so but I was hoping someone maybe had some rough measurements sketched down so I don't have to spend as much time playing around with cardboard before I cut and bend up my aluminum...

seriously... that worried about your "cold" air intake?

Just keep in mind that upgrading intake without matching exhaust, can and often does result in a power LOSS. I don't know about on the 4.0(for torque), but I've seen many dyno sheets where this happened on little ricer motors(for h.p.). Only 2-4 hp and not much effect going by the butt dyno, but still a loss.

Just grab a piece of exhaust tubing, cut it powder coat it and attach it right after the 90 deg rubber bend, and clap-er on. DIY the "responsible" redneck way.

Improving the throttle response sounds like a definite plus. Exhaust is a project a little down the road. The main question I had concerning these I got answered today (thx XJBoy). The question was concerning the extra hoses for the emissions lines, but he answered those so I'm all good.

i wondered about those lines too, im in the same bucket building my own intake. not so much cold yet, but it should help alittle
To answer your question, you connect them to the main tube between the filter and the engine. Now I just have to find some place that has a conversion setup for an XJ...(anyone have a CAI for a renix?)

do some searching from what ive read its a waste of time and money if in doubt take the airbox off and run it with just the hose get somebody to time your run with a stopwatch

Ebay has a sweet intake kit w/ a k&n cone and a alum. tube w/ all the vac hose bungs welded in for like $90 w/ shipping. When I get $ I'm gettin one. As far as isolating the cone from hot air, I thought a tupperware container w/ some creative cutting and foam pipe insulation might help. That is all theoretical. Thinking underhood temps are waay too hot for t-ware, worth a try though. As far as people that will flame on you for the intake idea(happens alot here), if you like it roll with it.

I'm doing kind of a cheapo mod to my airbox. I'm going to get a K&N conventional filter a little ways down the road, but I'm going to make the intake duct for the airbox about 4x larger (will end up being about 4" by 4" when I'm done.). Pics when I'm done.

Back