• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Came down a big hill, now have loud rotational noise

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ 4.0 AW4 has 5.5" RE long arm lift, LSD rear, ARB front. Also has bumpers, winch, SYE, 33 tires, 4:56 gears, 30 gal fuel tank, etc

So I was driving over one of those dirt mounds that the forest service puts in to block roads. It was about 3.5 - 4 feet tall. So I went up and over, no problem. Turned around, up and back down, seemed OK.

But I must have broken something.... I now have a rotational noise when driving. The noise increases with speed. I crawled under my jeep but couldn't find anything loose that would create that sort of sound. I can't really tell where the noise is coming from while driving...

Any ideas?

Describe the sound? Metal on metal, crap in the brakes squeeling, tranny whining because of low fluid level.

Pretend someone put a big zip tie around your driveline and when your driveshaft spins the end of the zip tie bangs on your chassis... that's about what it sounds like.

I just jacked my rear end up and put the jeep in drive... didnt make the noise.

I wonder if you bent and axle shaft or housing, and as it rotates its making contact with the inside of the housing??

thats what happens when you dont follow tread lightly!

the forest service puts those mounds there for a reason! the trail/road is off limits!

hope you broke something!

thats what happens when you dont follow tread lightly!

the forest service puts those mounds there for a reason! the trail/road is off limits!

hope you broke something!

:sure: All he did was climb the mound and leave? It does not say he ventured through park lands or anything. Even tho you should not ride on these lands he is asking for help...

Check up on your T-case just to be safe. I did something like this and had same strange noises...till my tcase grenaded.

i just had similiar zip tie noise, turned out to be the drivers side unit bearing. The noise was rotational like yours and very annoying. When i took the old one off it seemed fine, no play, spun ok, looked alright. Let us know what it turns out to be...

You can buy after market fuel tanks, I think, from RRO + others

On the topic, though -
check the obvious first. Anything in the treads? I've been driven nuts by bits of gravel before...

It's an aftermarket tank by Aero Tanks. Although the tank is beefy and held up well, I would not recommend them at all. Customer service SUCKS (tank came dented and banged up, they would not replace), and the wiring and fuel sending unit was garbage.

I have determined the noise is coming from inside my front pumpkin :-( Going to pull the cover plate on Monday and hope for the best

Back