• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Largest spare tire in OEM location?

I'd say you could probably get a 33 in there. I carried my 35 inch spare vertically right behind the drivers seat. So you could keep the 33 on the floor and maybe mount it with a tie down.

Go-Jeep was able to mount a 33" to the stock location, after he made some new brackets for the upper rear seats to move them forward some.

My '98 held a new 31" BFG MT tire in the stock position but only with force. The plastic trim around the hatch finally cracked for the constant pressure. If you use a 31" maybe you can find a used one that will fit in place better. Remember that tires of the same listed size but from different brands may actually be different sizes.
hth, Doug

I tried but I never could get my 31" BFG in the original position. I laid it flat and tied it down.

Somebody once posted a reply to this question and said they deflated their 31" spare to get it to fit. Unless you have a pump or air source, I would not recommend that. :)

I assume you are talking about in the cargo area, I don't keep a tire there but I know a 235 will fit snugly. I know that on the swing out rear tire carrier on a Renix will not fit a 31 without modification.

I assume you are talking about in the cargo area, I don't keep a tire there but I know a 235 will fit snugly. I know that on the swing out rear tire carrier on a Renix will not fit a 31 without modification.

point 1- i was able to get a worn 31" tire to fit in the stock location in the cargo area of my xj. it was also on a soft 8 rim. i removed the "shelf" that the stock sized spare tire sate on. instead of using the stock threaded rod to secure the tire, i used a ratchet strap. the back seat back had to be shoved quite hard to get it to latch, but it would. the tire would touch the sound bar and the liftgate just a little, but nothing to severe.

point 2. i added an amc era (renix era) spare tire carrier to my xj. i put the same 31" spare tire out on that. it is holding just fine and could even hold a larger tire. but if you do carry a 31 or larger, you may want to put a grade 8 washer under each of the hinge pins to help support the brass bushings.

I've got a 1/2 worn 33 in the stock location... BUT....... I deflated it and put a nylon ratchet strap around to collapse it even further. VERY tight fit but it works (going to 3 years now)........ Yes, I have an OBAC

If yours came with a donut spare you can fit a 235 using the donut spare "bolt" but it will be tight. I found a full size spare "bolt" from the junkyard and it works awesome with my 30" spare. Otherwise the bolt will be too short especially for different wheel offsets as well as tire thickness. But yes I believe a 31" is the tops that can be fit stock, although GoJeep has a writeup for fitting a 32" in his.

I got a used 31 BFG AT. It fits in mine, but I don't think I would be able to get any thing bigger there. It is touching the roof, and the back seat, and there is not much room for any other adjustment.

Edit. I have a 99.

I would like to see how you got yours to fit. I cannot get a 245/75/r16 into the stock location on my '99 due to the sound bar.

Here's my 245 in there. I just removed the floor bracket and hammered the wheel well down slightly and it fits fine.
Windows-1252BSU1HMDAwNTQuanBn.jpg

Back