• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

10 Gauge Headlight upgrade (Pics)

Mesh

NAXJA Forum User
I was tired of my dim yellow lights. After pulling the wires I noticed the plugs were heavily corroded and I had some nicks in the wire. It was probably time for an upgrade. I used the guide from go.jeep-xj.info with a few changes.

Some of the things I wanted to accomplish during this upgrade: no restrictions on bulbs, change to an H4 E-Code housing, and a removable harness. Since I don’t have a battery, the radiator is missing, and the header panel is not attached it made things much easier. I ordered the relays and ceramic H4 plugs from Susquehanna Motor Sports and I think the wire came from jegs.

I probably have another week untill I finish my engine so I haven't been able to test anything yet.

headlight1np7.jpg

headlight2wy5.jpg

headlight3pw2.jpg

I was going to attach the cables to the standoff first but I changed my mind I’m going directly on the battery.
headlight4ed4.jpg

A little wire comparison
headlight5pi4.jpg

headlight6hw5.jpg

To crimp the plugs I had to modify my crimper
headlight7ht7.jpg

^ This is true. While a lot of people say just the housings suffice, I completely disagree. I think in order to get the full lighting benefits these should all be done at the same time. Harness looks great!!

I built one a couple days ago and hooked it up, but the wires are routed extremely poorly and I don't consider it very safe. Look forward to a write-up on how to incorporate the relays into the stock PDC soon :)

^ This is true. While a lot of people say just the housings suffice, I completely disagree. I think in order to get the full lighting benefits these should all be done at the same time. Harness looks great!!

I built one a couple days ago and hooked it up, but the wires are routed extremely poorly and I don't consider it very safe. Look forward to a write-up on how to incorporate the relays into the stock PDC soon :)

My 20 year old wire was dangerous and probably even a fire hazard. A tip for someone trying to save money do the wire first it’s a better upgrade, then when you have more money buy new bulbs. It’s tempting to only replace the lights.

PDC?

The Power Distribution Center, or underhood fuse box.

That's pretty slick, woven loom, incorporating the signal and marker lights into your harness. 10awg is pretty much overkill, but I like it. Nice work. BTW, that much work, why not throw a couple of relay sockets in there too?

PDC I thought it might be power something. It would be interesting to see someone completely replace the factory wire.

I'm no wiring expert but I know how to stick things together so I followed the guide. I knew it was complete overkill after I started. Another thing I've been trying to do with my wire is easy access. The braid is split braid it can be pulled off in a second and the wrap is a dry vinyl tape its kind of a static cling backing.

The tape was hard to find TapeBrothers.com Dry Vinyl Tape. You can do every wire in your car with one roll. The down side is I could only find it in 2" wide I found another place that sells the smaller stuff but its by the case. Braid is Techflex F6 best price is McMaster-Carr do a search for braided sleeving.

I must say, you did a great job on that wire harness, nice job. I too will be doing a 10AWG wire harness pretty soon, figure its better to have a little bit bigger wire than necessary.

New H4 housings came in the other day.

imgp0312o.jpg

imgp0317.jpg

I decided to finish the front end and put in a radiator. Still no battery I'm making some new large cables. The engine is very very close maybe some working nighttime photos next week.

Thats some nice work!!!

I did something similar a couple of years ago to mine. I couldnt find any nice open plugs for my headlights though (plus Im cheap) so I just soldered my 10ga directly onto the sealed beam housing. My relays are the same as yours, wired directly to the battery. It is amazing how bright they are!

Mines also not quite as neat as yours. Great job.

I just recently completed my 12gauge wire harness. I put each relay in the Header panel right above the headlight. 1 relay to each side and just run the wires straight along the top of the grill. No water gets there. I even noticed when I completed the harness that my fog lights got a little better to since they don't have to compete against the headlights any more for power. In my case it was headlight harness, E-code Autopal lights, and 136a alternator. I could not be any happeir with results.

Back