• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ Dana 30, how many splines?

x2. , but on a side note find yourself a Hp30 out of pre '99

Looking at a lockrite for the front and I've searched and can't seem to find how many splines the low-pinion 01's have?
All the factory -30s are 27 spline
x2. , but on a side note find yourself a Hp30 out of pre '99
Go ahead and buy the lock-rite. You can trade it to the HP axle if you decide to swap it out.(actually, it's pre-'00, the '99s have the HP axle)

Its Chase from Aetna. I was riding wide Derrick and sat across from you at CB.

The LP 30 will be fine with 31s. If you plan on regearing and locking the LP 30 normally most will tell you since you're doing that go ahead and find a HP 30(preferably the 96+ish with the bigger joints) and build it and then swap all at once.

If you stick to 31s Id leave the LP. It'd probably be fine with 33s if you're light on the skinny.

Is that really necessary for 31's?

Has nothing to do with the tire size. Anything above a few inches of lift increase your pinion angle up front. HAs to do with the LP vs Hp. The other added benifits are Reverse cut gears. My experience is that 31's lead to 33's and 33's lead to 35's. If have 31's you most likey have 3-3.5" lift with a t-case drop. Anything above that you will get a lot vibes in the front driveshaft.

Look towards a 99 or older if you want one. My opinion would to just do the swap before you spend the money to have locker set up, unless your doing the work yourself.

Last edited:
Back