• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 and 8.8

CherokeeCrawler88

NAXJA Forum User
I will be running a dana 30 with 4.88 gears and aussie locker with complete inner and outer yukon 4340 chromoly shafts with superjoints and the 8.8 with 1541 yukon shafts 4.88 gears spooled. i wanna either run 35x12.50 LTBS or 36x13.50 Iroks. What tire would i be the safest with? i mean i have buddies that run 35 boggers on stock dana 30 and break only a joint every now and then. Let me know what you think please.
Thanks
Corey

You will be fine with either. my friend BEATS on his d30 with yukons & sj he runs 35 and has not broken anything.

oh and about tires go with the LTBs IMO.

what kinda terrain does he ride on. I also have a struss on it and solid diff cover. I was thinking i could rin 35 or 36s on yukon shafts and joint. Why does everyone say you cant run a 35 or 36 on a d30. I know plenty who do.is he locked in the front.

Yes he got a aussie in the front. we are from TN so we have a lot of diff terrain.

and what i mean by beat is. a 45* hill that looks like a staircase 2nd gear on the rev limter.:guitar:

what kinda terrain does he ride on. I also have a struss on it and solid diff cover. I was thinking i could rin 35 or 36s on yukon shafts and joint. Why does everyone say you cant run a 35 or 36 on a d30. I know plenty who do.is he locked in the front.

Yeah the 30 is pretty stout. Im running 4.10s on a HP30 and a 8.8 and 35" SSRs. Will be locked soon with alloy front shafts and a stiff cover. Im not going to truss it just yet though but i will be running aussies front and rear, and stock rear shafts. Next will be 4.88s and 36" IROKs. I dont think you need to upgrade your rear shafts on a 8.8 with those size tires.

The biggest none upgradeable weak link on the D30 is the ring gear, one option would be to have it cryo-treated, 20% increase in strength. Its only like $45 so it might be worth it.

the 36x13.50 Irok actuall diameter is 36.8 so its almost a 37 would that still do good with a locked d30 yukon shafts and joints and 4.88?

Most people rate the D30 with alloys, stiff cover and possibly a truss up to a 35" tire. If you truss it and are easy on the skinny pedal, you could likely make it survive up to a 37", but I'd be leery of it myself.

the 36x13.50 Irok actuall diameter is 36.8 so its almost a 37 would that still do good with a locked d30 yukon shafts and joints and 4.88?

From interco's web site. Irok Bias ply 36x13.50 is 36.8" OD. Radial is 36.0" OD

Yes your correct but I want the bias ply so with my chromoly shafts and super joints and solid diff cover and struss I would be safe with 35s and could get a little rough on it if needed I'm more of a crawler but gas it sometimes when needed

i run a front out of a tj(thats right low pinion) with 4.56s stock shafts, spicer joints, lock rite. and beat on it, constantly in the rev limiter i leave my weak link at the joints. i run 35" claws at 8psi

Most people rate the D30 with alloys, stiff cover and possibly a truss up to a 35" tire. If you truss it and are easy on the skinny pedal, you could likely make it survive up to a 37", but I'd be leery of it myself.

My buddy runs 37" SSRs and he has a stock cover and no truss, he does fine. This is on a YJ

where do you go to get it cyro-treated? how does the 4.10s do with 35s? im running 4.88 with 33" boggers and your talking about low

Some guy on Pirate 4x4, starboardM knows his name you should ask him. And 4.10s are fine on the street but offroad they arent much fun when im climbing stuff, they are temporary as they came factory in the front diff i swapped in and the rear 8.8

My buddy runs 37" SSRs and he has a stock cover and no truss, he does fine. This is on a YJ

I know a guy who ran the same tire on the same axle in a TJ. He did "fine" right up until he didn't, and then he spent the night in his rig miles from nowhere while his buddies ran back to town to get him some axleshafts. You can certainly make stuff last for awhile depending on driving style, but his question was what is the largest size he can comfortably run without too much worry.

shouldn't go out without spare shafts when you are running 37's on a d30 high or low. with 4.88 gears the the pinion will be the weak link. I would get Yukon gears they are strong and warrantied. carry spare shafts even if they are stock 260 joints unless you want to spend the night in the woods waiting on parts. or get a warn or mile marker manual hub conversion

the way it sounds 35s would be safer where if i needed to get a little rough i could. I mean i know if its going to break its going to break. but i dont wanna break everytime ten minutes..

with super joints you want to make sure you grease them after every run. otherwise they fail and alloy wont warrenty them.

if you break a joint or an inner shaft and dont have spares. you can always put your stub shaft in and drive on out. but gotta make sure you put the stub shaft in otherwise your unit bearings will come apart...

You end up moving the weak point. Ask mattyj, fully polished D30 HP, 30 spline axles, alloy shafts, trussed with a stiff cover. He just broke his 3rd ring gear on 35's. Generally speaking HP 30 is good to a 35" tire with alloys. With 4.88's you have 2 teeth in contact vs a 4.56 or 4.10 gearset, which is something else to remember. Also, don't pull in reverse. :)

You end up moving the weak point. Ask mattyj, fully polished D30 HP, 30 spline axles, alloy shafts, trussed with a stiff cover. He just broke his 3rd ring gear on 35's. Generally speaking HP 30 is good to a 35" tire with alloys. With 4.88's you have 2 teeth in contact vs a 4.56 or 4.10 gearset, which is something else to remember. Also, don't pull in reverse. :)

Yep, you do move the weak point. I know. I have a golden turdy (maybe not as shiny as Cal's, but close) 30 spline inners and outers, CTM's, Vanco brakes, ARB, Truss, Crane cover, hydro assist bla bla bla....... you can and will break ring gears if you wheel big rocks. Eventually you use a little skinny pedal and that little 7.5" ring gear just says "no way bud, I'm not playing"
Im rebuilding this thing one last time with a Dana Spicer gear set and had them cryogenicly treated by CryoScience in Oceanside CA.
You just need to remember that you can break it on 35" tires if you are in big rocks...its not a 60, a 9" or a HP44. Its a turd :D

Back