• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does the UN know better than Mom and Dad?

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
It's hard to argue with this:

"It's embarrassing to find ourselves in the company of Somalia, a lawless land," Obama said.

That said this treaty if it actually is as bad as the CRC website indicates then it would be a little over the top even by my standards.

That's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Yes, there needs to be someone there to intervene in case the parents get out of hand (abusive), but to give the gov't the ability to decide what's "right" for your kid is ridiculous.

:thumbsdown:

Yeah, I read a similar article about a week ago, pretty stupid if you ask me.

Somalia hasn't signed it either isn't a good basis for a policy decision

Somalia didn't sign on to the United Abominations plan. Most likely due to the teetering government if you can call it that. I don't think they were making a stand or anything of the like, just coincidence.

Somalia didn't sign on to the United Abominations plan. Most likely due to the teetering government if you can call it that. I don't think they were making a stand or anything of the like, just coincidence.

I wasn't asking why Somalia hadn't signed on (that's easy enough to infer,) but I wanted justification behind the comparison between the US and Somalia. Given the actions of Congresscritters, I have a difficult time believing that we are, in any respect, "lawless."

It's hard to argue with this:

"It's embarrassing to find ourselves in the company of Somalia, a lawless land," Obama said.

The only thing that is embarrassing is that the
"Land of the Free"
"Home of the Brave"
Has elected a man to the office of POTUS that feels this way !

God help us all!!

Jon,

My smart a$$ response, "Obviously you haven't been to Oakland lately?"

It's been 40 years since I diagrammed a sentence. My daughter the English Major could if she was home. The the object "a lawless land" refers to Somalia not the US. Two countries, the USA and Somalia have not signed this treaty. That puts us (US) in the same category as Somalia.

and Garr,

It IS embarassing that the world can see that Somalia and the US have something in common, and POTUS had nothing to do with that. I sincerely hope that God will help us because until the citizens rally behind their leader and work together instead of nit-picking every fault we will continue to be in hard times.

Save it, I know there were plenty of Democrats that nit-picked the former President, it grew tiresome then also. There is plenty of blame to go around, both sides of the aisle but what good does blame do in correcting the situation? Yeah, yeah 1st Admendment, blah, blah, blah. Whining like a turbine won't solve the mess the country is in.

Last edited:
Jon,

My smart a$$ response, "Obviously you haven't been to Oakland lately?"

It's been 40 years since I diagrammed a sentence. My daughter the English Major could if she was home. The the object "a lawless land" refers to Somalia not the US. Two countries, the USA and Somalia have not signed this treaty. That puts us (US) in the same category as Somalia.

Just checkin', Tom.

Last time I went to OAK was going to the airport to pick up my younger son coming back from HI - and that was four or five years ago. I avoid OAK...

Perhaps I just mis-parsed your comment...:doh:

It IS embarassing that the world can see that Somalia and the US have something in common, and POTUS had nothing to do with that. I sincerely hope that God will help us because until the citizens rally behind their leader and work together instead of nit-picking every fault we will continue to be in hard times.
Again, not wanting to have anything in common with Somalia is not a good reason to sign anything into law. Have you read the text of this treaty? It takes away pretty much every parental right you have! Can't teach your kids about religion, spank them, take away their TV, ground them, teach them abstinence until marriage, restrict their phone usage, tell them to do their homework instead of going outside and playing. Any decision you make can be reviewed by the government if the kid doesn't like it. I don't give a damn that Somalia also has not signed on, this has absolutely no place in America. If Somalia should adopt a democratic society, should we abandon it because they're doing it too?

Exactly why I posted it up......so folks who can read, will read it, ponder it and then vocalize their opinion regarding it to those in office that will be voting on it.

Whining about it on this forum does nothing......taking action to inform your elected representative of your expectations of them to represent your will, requires more effort, but isn't it worth it?

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Does anybody have a copy of the original treaty? I hate relying on others "analysis."

Sent an email to Congressman Jerry Lewis of CA's 41st District to let him know how I feel on this, HR45 and HR1022

Exactly why I posted it up......so folks who can read, will read it, ponder it and then vocalize their opinion regarding it to those in office that will be voting on it.

Whining about it on this forum does nothing......taking action to inform your elected representative of your expectations of them to represent your will, requires more effort, but isn't it worth it?

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
Nice, followed the link and entered my zip+4; got the 404 error.

Still wont work for my zip or zip+4. Tried it through different browsers. I know of other ways, just mildly amusing to me that it won't work. Maybe one of you guys will try it for me.
80233-4535(Thornton, CO) should go to Rep. Jared Polis. I still just get the good ole 404 error.

When there's a will, there's a way.......upper left hand corner....see Representatives, click, now see the map? click on your state, all Reps for your state are then listed. Click on your Rep, which pulls up their page....similar to this.
http://polis.house.gov/

Back