• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical trouble (dash, extr lights)

StandsOnToes

NAXJA Forum User
89 inline 6 automatic

heres my problem: My radio, turn signals, cigarette lighter, Wipers/ wiper fluid pump, and heater fan have all stopped working. My head lights , instument panel lights , brake lights still work.

I've check the fuses and all are good. The motor starts fine and everything.

This problem has happened a few times before i'd be driving and everythign mentioned above would stop working but within a few minutes it would come back on.

This sounds like a short to me but i really have no idea, i don;t have any wiring diagrams to start looking either. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for. Could it be one of the automatic breakers just not switching back on? If so, can anyone tell me where these are so i can flipp them/replace them?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

yeah allgood in tha' hood. i really hope its not a short those are such a bitch....

Any suggestions on where to start looking? is there one area where all these compents are connected that i should check... it seems weird to me that the heater fan and wipers and signals etc, are all on the same circut

AND at the passenger kick panel?

no fuses under the hood or passenger side kick panel on an 89.

there is a fuse block with fuses on the drivers side kick panel and a relay center behind the battery.

i would look at the ignition switch at the base of the steering column for the problem

no fuses under the hood or passenger side kick panel on an 89.

there is a fuse block with fuses on the drivers side kick panel and a relay center behind the battery.

i would look at the ignition switch at the base of the steering column for the problem

Yeah all i did was pop a couple covers on the relays and jiggle shit around theres really nothing to be done under the hood i think.

This ignition switch could be it maybe i had the chop shop boys tighten my steering column when i got my front end worked on.

i'll check that...

aww shit don;t i need a lock plate compressor and "time i don;t have" to take apart my steering column to get at that or am i thinking of the wrong thing.

What switch you talking about?

A short is power to ground and blows fuses, an open is more like what you have.

If the switch isn't the problem you might want to disconnect the battery and then unbolt the fuse block and check/clean the back side of it.

The ignition switch is not the same as the key lock.

Ignition switch is located at the base of the steering column, and is connected to the key lock by a long rod.

hey thanks for all the help i dunno what i did but everything works now its gotta be a loose connection ( or somthing) somewhere becuase while trying to see what exactly the rod from the keylock was connected to while upside down i must of moved or jiggled somthign to the right place.

Thanks for all your help narrowing down this problem everyone hopefully i have time this weekend to actually fix it

thanks again

hey thanks for all the help i dunno what i did but everything works now its gotta be a loose connection ( or somthing) somewhere becuase while trying to see what exactly the rod from the keylock was connected to while upside down i must of moved or jiggled somthign to the right place.

Thanks for all your help narrowing down this problem everyone hopefully i have time this weekend to actually fix it

thanks again

when installing an ignition switch, the switch needs to be adjusted for the rod to make proper contact. it seems like you found the problem, but you may want to look a little closer on how to adjust the rod so this doesnt happen while your driving.

Back