• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch bumper, second idea

bobfortier

NAXJA Forum User
Hi

Here is a new drawing, which position the winch properly, and also it is a bunch of welded together piece instead of one big piece.

After this is installed, I'll fit the stock bumper over it (I'll probably have to cut a ``window`` in it and bring it forward)

Comments ?

Winchplate-1.jpg

The winch cradle doesn't look strong enough for a hard pull, like it would bend downward. You need to find a way to gusset the ends of it. I'd also gusset the bejeesus out of where the back plate meets the side plates, as well as reinforcing the back plate itself. Maybe a horizontal flange along the bottom and top back edge to stiffen it.

I'm with that guy ^7...

Anything that has a lot of pressure on it should not have 90 degree angles if you can help it. It just puts a lot of extra strain on the corners. That's where t would fail if it does.

I would gusset from the corner of the cradle to the as far over as you can on the unibody tie in brackets. At very least get some 1/4" plate and cut them in like 3"x3" triangles and weld them in The corners everywhere possible.

Thanks guys, I'll gusset the hole thing when I built. This goes in front of the stock crossmember. I wanted a flat piece to lay against the crossmember, however when I removed the bumper I found that the line for the tranny cooler (I think it was that) are in front of the crossmember, on the left, this is why there is a ``notch`` on the back piece.

I'll go also with Jeepfreak21 idea about adding plates.

I will order the material shortly, and this will be my first welding project.

Make sure to gusset the winch cradle...or else when you do a pull, the plate its on in your pictures will just bend downward...Not all pulls are going to be directly from the front with the winchline on a parallel with the ground...so if your front end is in the air and the line IS parallel with the ground, its just going to pull the flat mounting surface down.

Back