• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 Front Yoke Nut Size?

cyberbackpacker

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of trying to get my 21 spline input shaft out to replace it with a 23 spline input shaft, but do not have a socket that fits the front yoke nut. Does anyone know what size it is so I can ask around to borrow, or if need be go to sears in the morning to grab one?

Also, the case is split right now, and I believe it is just the front yoke preventing me from getting it apart. Is there anything else I am overlooking? Do I need to remove the rear tailcone or anything else?

Again, for now I just need to get the input shaft out. I am swapping a guy in the morning for the 23 spline and I REALLY need to get this done.

Searched plenty of threads, but have not found the proper socket size for the front yoke.

TIA.

cyberbackpacker said:
I am in the process of trying to get my 21 spline input shaft out to replace it with a 23 spline input shaft, but do not have a socket that fits the front yoke nut. Does anyone know what size it is so I can ask around to borrow, or if need be go to sears in the morning to grab one?

Also, the case is split right now, and I believe it is just the front yoke preventing me from getting it apart. Is there anything else I am overlooking? Do I need to remove the rear tailcone or anything else?

Again, for now I just need to get the input shaft out. I am swapping a guy in the morning for the 23 spline and I REALLY need to get this done.

Searched plenty of threads, but have not found the proper socket size for the front yoke.

TIA.

It would be nice if people posted some needed information such as year of the unit, style, engine, transmission etc.
I don't think that the front yoke is your problem. If you have a sealed output, I know there is a snap ring there preventing the housing from moving away from the shaft. I think the bearing will hit the snap ring.
Just checked the manual for a late model. To disassemble, first you remove the rear parts.

Last edited:
front yoke nut size is 1 1/8" for future referance... you need to only remove the snap ring on the front out put sproket to get the chain and mainshaft off. Then you will have to get a #1 ez out to get the roll pin out of the shift shaft in the side of the case where a plastic plug should be. too much fun... I did this yesterday... see ya soon...

Scott.

falcon556 said:
It would be nice if people posted some needed information such as year of the unit, style, engine, transmission etc.
I don't think that the front yoke is your problem. If you have a sealed output, I know there is a snap ring there preventing the housing from moving away from the shaft. I think the bearing will hit the snap ring.
Just checked the manual for a late model. To disassemble, first you remove the rear parts.

Falcon, thanks for trying to help.

In regards to "info" there is a lot embedded in my OP, I just didn't say it bluntly i.e. a 21 spline input shaft 242 tells people that it is a pre-91. Also trans info is implied because 242's only came mated to AW4's.

cyberbackpacker said:
Falcon, thanks for trying to help.

In regards to "info" there is a lot embedded in my OP, I just didn't say it bluntly i.e. a 21 spline input shaft 242 tells people that it is a pre-91. Also trans info is implied because 242's only came mated to AW4's.

I am ashamed to admit such a thing, but I didn't know that the 242 only came with the AW4.
OTOH I do have the manual for an '87 242.
This is the sequence they show.
Remove drain plugs, front yoke, set to 4x4Low, remove the extension housing by removing the bolts and hitting it clockwise with rawhide mallet to break the seal, rear bearing snap ring, rear retainer, split the case. discard seals and snap ring.
I cannot post the manual here, if you need more, pm me your email.

Falcon, thanks again.

I had that info, and that is what I thought, however the front yoke was where I was getting hung up, hence the need for the yoke nut size.

Clean-RC was right, it is a 1 1/8".

Thanks again.

cyberbackpacker said:
Falcon, thanks again.

I had that info, and that is what I thought, however the front yoke was where I was getting hung up, hence the need for the yoke nut size.

Clean-RC was right, it is a 1 1/8".

Thanks again.

Although they say in the manual to remove the yoke, I still think that the key to splitting the case is to remove everything off the rear output shaft.
I think that they call for the removal of the yoke as part of the complete disassembly. Unless I needed to remove the front yoke for some other reason, I'd simply remove the two rear housings, what they call extension and retainer and leave the front yoke alone.

Back