• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New tires and gears!!

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
HA! made you look. I'm looking to make the step up to 35'' Truxux M/T's and 4.56 Gears. I've pretty much made up my mine, but what works well out here in the terrain? (mud, snow, ROCKS, dirt) and I can also get the truxussauruses for under 150 each, which is pretty much a steal. I'm open to suggestions.

Also, who makes 4.88's for the 8.25? all i can find is 4.56 for it, but i wanna go 4.88. will i be fine with 4.56? I'm rollin 3.55's with 33's right now.

HA! made you look. I'm looking to make the step up to 35'' Truxux M/T's and 4.56 Gears. I've pretty much made up my mine, but what works well out here in the terrain? (mud, snow, ROCKS, dirt) and I can also get the truxussauruses for under 150 each, which is pretty much a steal. I'm open to suggestions.

Also, who makes 4.88's for the 8.25? all i can find is 4.56 for it, but i wanna go 4.88. will i be fine with 4.56? I'm rollin 3.55's with 33's right now.

I believe its Nitro Gear that makes the 4.88s for the 8.25 they are owned by

http://www.justdifferentials.com
5980 Goodwin Rd
Cashmere, WA 98815
509-888-2953

and are also NAXJA sponsors. I sent quite a few PMs back and forth with them last week, they are very friendly and seem helpful.

Damn... $250

I'm going through Randy's ring and pinion for everything else. Not including shipping its $350 for Youkon install kits for the 30 and 8.25, and 4.56 gearsets F/R.

Talk to Dustin and see where he got his.

And install kits are 75 bucks at 4wheel parts.

And I called there and got a quote for 435 for gears and install kits for 8.25 and 30

Now they are hurting for biz then install any thing over 300 for free

Hmmm.... I've heard bad things about the gears they use (Genuine gears).

The install kits I looked at were 13 bucks for the 30 and 50 for the 8.25. The gears were 155 for the 30 (4.56 and 4.88 were the same price) and 131 for the 8.25 (4.56).

www.completeoffroad.com

That's who I got all my stuff through (gears, install kits, carriers). My Jeeps a manual so I went deeper to the 4.88s, and I absolutely love them. 4.56s would probably work just as well for you auto guys.

Try calling some different vendors, and see if you can get a group buy discount. Maybe Terry would be up for this too.

I would try and stay away from the Genuine brand though. I've heard lots of different opinions on their gear line.

I'm lookin at goin with USA standard gearing(through Randy's). All thier stuff says its not for an application that needs a quiet running gearset.

I've been lookin, and for an auto, 4.56 will put you back to stock. And thats where i wanna be.

If you do a group buy, depending on when you do it...I may be interested in D30 4.56 gears. I'd like to go Yukon though. :)

~Scott

all the stuff at completeoffroad.com is yukon.

FWIW.

I have 34" tires (33x12.5 Bias TSL's)
Auto and 4.88 gears.
If I could go 5.13's I would prefer it.

Many people are happy with the 4.56's but I would much prefer a deeper gear set if possible.

Michael

This question comes up over and over. If you're adding all the extra drag and weight of larger wheels, tires, axles, bumpers, winch, racks, etc... Why do you want to get back to STOCK gearing? You need MORE mechanical advantage, not the same. With 35's I would go with nothing less than 4.88's.

John

This question comes up over and over. If you're adding all the extra drag and weight of larger wheels, tires, axles, bumpers, winch, racks, etc... Why do you want to get back to STOCK gearing? You need MORE mechanical advantage, not the same. With 35's I would go with nothing less than 4.88's.

John

X2 4.88 with 35's is Not bad, But I would prefer 5.13.

As has been said, my 35's and 4.88s are okay, but I'd really like 5.13s or an Atlas on the trails.

-----Matt-----
5.39s and an NV4500 would be better.

We could go round and round for weeks about what's better.
But let's face it. 488 is the best you can do for the 30 and 8.25.

And I don't know anyone that has or can buy an atlas.

We all wish we had portel axles and atlas with 2 cases.

Back