• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC chain kit?

Sig Ep Mock

NAXJA Forum User
OK gang I think I've got a streched chain in the TC. Noticed it a little 3 weeks ago in the dunes only climbing hills...thought it was control arms clanking....last weekend definitley knew something was wrong....in 4 high or low clanking coming from under the Jeep when on the gas.....got it home today and heard noise in 2 wheel drive like a light rattling.

So how do I check if it's the chain? Disconeect the front drive shaft and wiggle the yoke? Right now when I try to twist the front drive shaft it rolls the Jeep back and forth....no freeplay so I think the front axle is ok. If I disconnect the front axle will I see movement on the TC side if the chain is bad?

If it is bad can I tackle this repair myself? or should I just pull the TC and take it to a shop? Buy the wider chain and gear kit and tackle it myself? Are there any do-it-yourself articles on this? Who should I get the parts from in SoCal?

Thanks for the input,

Chris

You can get a fat chain conversion for it, which is a chain and two sprocket fron a 231 D (dodge truck). I think JB conversion sells the kit, if you really want to beef it up, throw a 2low kit in it fron tera flex, and a six pinion planet in it too. It's really not that hard to do, all you really need is a set of internal snap-ring pliers.

If it doesn't have an SYE now would be the perfect time for that too. If all this seems to much, just do the chain kit. I can help you with it, and it can be done in the car, I prefer to do them on my bench at home.

Justin

TNT Y link.... you will need to drop the belly pan and yank it out, but Justin is right, do the SYE, and the fat chain kit... the 2-LOW would be cool too!!

TNT Y link.... you will need to drop the belly pan and yank it out, but Justin is right, do the SYE, and the fat chain kit... the 2-LOW would be cool too!!

Yeah I was looking at it last night. I'll drop the pan this weekend and get the T-case out. Not sure if I've got the cash right now to do the SYE and new axle. Might just be the fat chain....although I know I should just do it all while I have the thing out.:doh:

Thanks for the offer Justin, let me get the thing out and open her up....if it looks like more than I can handle I might give you buzz.

Anyone know of a good step by step article or manual I should get to help walk me through it?

Thanks again,

Chris

You can get a fat chain conversion for it, which is a chain and two sprocket fron a 231 D (dodge truck).
Justin

So does that mean if I find a Dodge 231D, I can swap the chain, front output shaft and rear output gear and be set, not needing to buy the conversion from JB?

So does that mean if I find a Dodge 231D, I can swap the chain, front output shaft and rear output gear and be set, not needing to buy the conversion from JB?

As long as the sprocket fits the main shaft, and you have the fight fork for it.

The real caveat with that would be to find a good 231D tcase that also has a good chain.

So just got off the phone with JB COnversions and going to order up one of their 231HD's. It has all the goodies already inside plus it saves me some time just yank the old one and put in the new one then order up the new drive shaft and be done with. I might have to chrome it it before it goes in though:)

Thanks for all the help,

Chris

I bought one of those in 2001. No issues.

<grin> Call Tom Woods for a driveshaft.

So just got off the phone with JB COnversions and going to order up one of their 231HD's. It has all the goodies already inside plus it saves me some time just yank the old one and put in the new one then order up the new drive shaft and be done with. I might have to chrome it it before it goes in though:)

Thanks for all the help,

Chris

Nice Chris, so glad the Jeep is being well taken care of!! :cheers:

Back