• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where can I get this?

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
The insulator or heat shield that sits on top of the intake manifold shown below is OEM equipment for every 1999 and above Jeep XJ, TJ, WJ, etc. w. the 4.0. Mine has disintegrated, and even the dealer can not locate a part number for a replacement. Does anyone know where I can get one? Thanks!

HeatShield.jpg

If you lived around here, I would let you take it off mine. From what people on this forum told me (and I believe it or I wouldn't repeat it), it is probably a legal type thing to prevent debris from collecting and starting fires. They also suggested that this shield contributed to the famous heat soak problem of the #3 injector and possibly the 0331 head cracking issue (which mine is). That makes sense, because all the exhaust manifold heat rises up and is trapped there with the intake manifold. When I swap out my head, I'm leaving it off. Maybe I can sell it some day for a lot of money. LOL

Thanks guys. Have been digging into this too since my last post, I believe the recall number was ID # 02V104000. But I was not aware though it might be a possible cause of the #3 injector heat soak problem, or the head cracking issue (I have the earlier 0630 head). But is this just opinion, based on fact, and/or is it verified? But it does make sense trapping exhaust heat. I think I remember another recall addressing the #3 injector w. yet another heat shield fix. I'm confused now...........

I don't have one on my rig. It's a 91 MJ w. a stroker and the 01 manifold upgrade. Every one I've seen in the JY was seriously fubared, just trying to find a source for a new one, dude.

I just spent some time searching on www.teamcherokee.com and could not find it. I really think your best chance is going to be at the dealer with the service bulletin someone mentiond before. Either that, or an auto recycler, or pick-n-pull.

Good luck!

I just spent some time searching on www.teamcherokee.com and could not find it. I really think your best chance is going to be at the dealer with the service bulletin someone mentiond before. Either that, or an auto recycler, or pick-n-pull.

Good luck!

www.teamcherokee.com has more than what is listed on their webpage, I needed a clockspring for a 96 non cruise control XJ and called them up and they were able to get ahold of one for me, you should try and email or call them and see if they can get it.

Thanks guys. Have been digging into this too since my last post, I believe the recall number was ID # 02V104000. But I was not aware though it might be a possible cause of the #3 injector heat soak problem, or the head cracking issue (I have the earlier 0630 head). But is this just opinion, based on fact, and/or is it verified? But it does make sense trapping exhaust heat. I think I remember another recall addressing the #3 injector w. yet another heat shield fix. I'm confused now...........

There is another TSB to wrap the #3 injector with an insulator. This one keeps the heat out of the injector. The possible negative factors of the large silver DEBRIS SHIELD are opinion (IMHO). They were pointed out by other Jeepers, but do seem like conclusions based on logic. What do you think would happen if you put a temperature probe under that shield and tested temp, then took the shield off and tested temp? Logic tells me that you are heating all of that stuff up, including the intake manifold. Kind of reduces the benefit of a cold air intake that we assume is so important.

Hmm, I didn't have that on either of my 2 '99's.

I don't remember it on my dad's '00 TJ either, but I can't be certain of it.

There is another TSB to wrap the #3 injector with an insulator. This one keeps the heat out of the injector. The possible negative factors of the large silver DEBRIS SHIELD are opinion (IMHO). They were pointed out by other Jeepers, but do seem like conclusions based on logic. What do you think would happen if you put a temperature probe under that shield and tested temp, then took the shield off and tested temp? Logic tells me that you are heating all of that stuff up, including the intake manifold. Kind of reduces the benefit of a cold air intake that we assume is so important.

I was able to get the part number from the TSB; it's CBXCB060. The local stealer had one in stock, $3.00 + tax. I will do some before and after temp measurements also winterbeater and try to verify if there are any negative effects.

Back