• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aaaargh! II (the sequel)

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
Well, last night I'm sitting at home waiting for the old lady to get home from her friend's when my cell rings.....it's her, she says: "The Jeep died" I say: "What are you talking about?"....."the power steering stopped working and......" I immediately say: "please tell me you stopped the motor and pulled over right away!"......"well, I thought it was okay to drive without the power steering but, the dash lights came on and it got real hot"....."how far did you drive?"....."only about a mile (at this point I'm suppressing a scream) triple A should be here any minute". About a 1/2 hr later the Jeep arrives on a flat bed, we get it unloaded, I check under the hood and see that it threw the belt......looks like the water pump went south and it lost the belt, I start it up (praying and fingers crossed).........it's runs real rough (on maybe 4 or 5 cylinders). Well, you can imagine the expletives spewing from my mouth! Anyway, the homicidal urges have passed and I'm much calmer today. I called Justin and he agrees that the head is most likely toast so........how was your day? I guess I'll be pulling the head this weekend. Anybody have a good (as in not cracked!) rebuildable HO head they want to part with for cheap? :D--------------Hans

Well, last night I'm sitting at home waiting for the old lady to get home from her friend's when my cell rings.....it's her, she says: "The Jeep died" I say: "What are you talking about?"....."the power steering stopped working and......" I immediately say: "please tell me you stopped the motor and pulled over right away!"......"well, I thought it was okay to drive without the power steering but, the dash lights came on and it got real hot"....."how far did you drive?"....."only about a mile (at this point I'm suppressing a scream) triple A should be here any minute". About a 1/2 hr later the Jeep arrives on a flat bed, we get it unloaded, I check under the hood and see that it threw the belt......looks like the water pump went south and it lost the belt, I start it up (praying and fingers crossed).........it's runs real rough (on maybe 4 or 5 cylinders). Well, you can imagine the expletives spewing from my mouth! Anyway, the homicidal urges have passed and I'm much calmer today. I called Justin and he agrees that the head is most likely toast so........how was your day? I guess I'll be pulling the head this weekend. Anybody have a good (as in not cracked!) rebuildable HO head they want to part with for cheap? :D--------------Hans

That sucks! I would get down to PAP and grab won.....SANTA

Yeah, I'll probably head down there this weekend. The crazy thing is, I was just there yesterday!----------Hans

Yeah, I'll probably head down there this weekend. The crazy thing is, I was just there yesterday!----------Hans
haha i had one of those times. i needed a part for my jeep, i find it at pick apart and install the new part. sure enoughsomething else goes wrong because its a jeep and no i find myself back the next day at pick a part getting another replacement part...:wierd:

Sorry to hear that Hans. I wouldn't get a junkyard head. The Jeep you take it off of might be in the junkyard because it overheated. You never know what you're getting.

Here's the reman head I bought for the MJ. Only $274 shipped. All ready to slap on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REBU...62QQcategoryZ33617QQihZ016QQitemZ260370822778
Thanks for the link, Johnny! I'll definitely look into them! Funds are kind of tight right now because I'm still recovering from my Toyota's engine.......when it rains it pours! Up until this that Jeep has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned!.......looks like I'll be putting that locker install off for a a little while longer.---------Hans

Sorry to hear that Hans. I wouldn't get a junkyard head. The Jeep you take it off of might be in the junkyard because it overheated. You never know what you're getting.

Here's the reman head I bought for the MJ. Only $274 shipped. All ready to slap on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REBU...62QQcategoryZ33617QQihZ016QQitemZ260370822778

When I get engine stuff from PAP I look for an XJ that has been in an accident, that way you have a chance that its in there due to that and not an engine failure.....SANTA

I'd have to say that my old jeep did that one time..after letting it sit over night, it started and ran normal on the next morning, lucky?? maybe...:worship:

Well, I tried my luck at PAP today (1/2 price day) and I found a really clean head on a rebuilt motor (the pistons were stamped 030). The head looks like it hasn't been run on there for very long as the valves are really clean and there's a heat tab on the rear freeze plug that's supposed to melt if it's been overheated.....still intact. It's a 7120 casting and my '96 uses the 0630 casting so I did a little research and found that the 7120 casting is actually desireable over the 0630 casting as it has slightly better flow characteristics(?) When I came upon it someone had already done most of the work for me, the intake and exhaust manifolds and p/s pump were gone so, all I had to do was pop the valve cover, remove two a/c compressor bolts and unbolt the head! I think there was even a "Reserved for Hans" tag attached to the Jeep! Anyway, I'll have the head checked out before I get too excited but, for $37 :dunno:----------Hans

Sounds like a nice score Hans. Let me know if you need any help or anything. PM me your number...I don't think I have it anymore.

Sounds like a nice score Hans. Let me know if you need any help or anything. PM me your number...I don't think I have it anymore.
You've got a PM. Now, I don't have the old head off yet but, some in the know Jeep guys (Justin being one of them......thanks for letting me pick your brain!) think the bottom end should be okay (no coolant in the oil). I'll know when I get it apart. Keep your fingers crossed for me guys!------------Hans

You've got a PM. Now, I don't have the old head off yet but, some in the know Jeep guys (Justin being one of them......thanks for letting me pick your brain!) think the bottom end should be okay (no coolant in the oil). I'll know when I get it apart. Keep your fingers crossed for me guys!------------Hans

It will all be ok... Nice score on the reman'd head in the junk yard...

Well, dropped off the new (used) head at the machine shop to have it checked out (these guys do really good work......they did my Toyota's head), pulled the head off of the "dead" motor......bores looks really clean, no ridge, still some visible crosshatching......could probably go another 200K easy if it wasn't for the nickle sized hole in the center of the #1 piston! Hey, when my old lady killed the Jeep she did a thorough job! Sigh......I just had to laugh, no sense in getting pissed. As I stated before, money is pretty tight so, it might have to sit for a while longer than I had anticipated. Here's my question (I'm a pretty decent wrench and have built a few V8s and air cooled VWs in my day)........am I crazy for even considering dropping the pan (the rear main was starting to leak anyway) and pulling the rods and pistons, installing new pistons/rings, bearings and oil pump and calling it done......I really don't want to pull the motor. Or, should I just write that thing off and pick up a rebuilt shortblock $$? Go ahead and give me your honest opinion(s). I just want to add, that there was no coolant in the oil so, it dosen't look (as far as I could tell) that the block is cracked. Okay, fire away----------Hans

Update: Honed the cylinders, new pistons and rings (std), rod bearings (the mains still looked like new!), timing chain/gears, water pump, the aforementioned rebuilt head with my new IPN header.......fired right up sounds and runs great.....all for just under $1000!:) I did all this in my driveway with the motor still in the Jeep (I really didn't want to pull the motor!) Thanks Russ and Justin for letting me pick your brains and all those who chimed in with words of support! I think my GF ("The Jeep assassin") won't be doing that again! :D----------Hans

W00T! Good job. Doesn't that make you feel good that you did it all by yourself?
Mostly, I like the fact that I know how it was put back together and........the money I saved!:D
Not a problem Hans, glad to hear it's running again.

Justin
You're my "go to guy" whenever I have Jeep questions......thanks!

Now take her out wheelin'. The girlfriend I mean.
She's actually spent alot of time in the passenger seats of my early Bronco and Toyota. I'm getting ready to, finally, install that No Slip I have stashed in my closet :D then, work on some sliders I have an idea for, suspension, gearing........does it ever end! :dunno: ------------Hans

Last edited:
Back