• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Could a voltage spike kill a CPS?

Lightfoot

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so long story short, i think I killed my CPS when installing my adjustable Map sensor. After removing my head from my ... I realized I may have crossed two wires, and and fed the voltage change of the Map adjuster back into the 5v input. This in turn raised the voltage of that line to 7.3v, the max setting of the Map adjuster. Testing showed that this fed 7.3 volts to the orange feed wire of the CPS. My question is, is this voltage spike enough to kill the sensor? My sensor now fails the 125-275 ohm test across the a/b pins, showing infinite resistance (maybe burnt up wires). I also get no fuel, spark, or fuel gauge. Ive have a new sensor coming tomorrow, and I have returned the MAP to stock, so I am hoping this solves my problem, but I am interested to know what any of you electrical guys think. Also, what other sensors may I have fried with this bonehead move?
Thanks
Lightfoot

You could have damaged anything on the circuit, however, some components are more tolerant than others.

Change the CKP as it tests bad and then hopefully it will start and you can get on with life or something won't work and you will have to run more tests.

Back