• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd noise

Crusher16

RRC President
NAXJA Member
So, I discovered my XJ is making an odd noise today, after paying rent. I think its mad at me for paying for my apartment rather then spending money on her.

Anyways, only does the noise in gear and if I press the accelerator down enough. Doesn't do it in park/nuetral and stepping on the accelerator. Sounds like its coming from underneath, in the middle. But its hard to figure out where its coming from while in the Jeep and driving.

I'm hoping its just the accessory belt or something simple.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Us2SasVP0

Specs:
NP242
AW4
other stuff is in signature.

Last edited:
No marks. I'll check the mounts.

Any other ideas?

Well, its starting to get worse. Just sounds like a slight scraping noise and low speeds. Can barely hear it at higher speeds over my all terrains. Not sure what else to check. Still doesn't affect anything and I don't feel it anywhere.

Well, its starting to get worse. Just sounds like a slight scraping noise and low speeds. Can barely hear it at higher speeds over my all terrains. Not sure what else to check. Still doesn't affect anything and I don't feel it anywhere.

So it is drive train related. If it is coming from the back of the vehicle, drop your rear drive line and check the CV. Thought I could hear the little popping that signals a bad centering pin. If the sound is closer to the front check the front drive line. My bet is it's one or the other CV.

Back