• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Me 1, Renix 0

Curtis_H

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after all this fighting of my high idle problem I finally kicked its ass this weekend:party:I may feel like an idiot, but im a successful idiot! After replacing literally every sensor on my 87 wagoneer, my idle was smooth as silk but still steady at 1000 rpms. I checked all vaccum lines and found no leaks, tightened all the loose bolts on my intake manifold, checked all the grounds, checked the c1 connection, still steady at 1000 rpms. I was getting ready to pull the throttle body and soak it in carb cleaner when i noticed the threads on my idle stop screw were damaged. Upon further inspection it looked like someone had taken vice grips to it to adjust it. So, i went to my 89 parts cherokee and indeed the screw on it seemed to be in much further than the screw on my 87. Turned it in a few turns and low and behold smooth and steady at 750 rpms, right where it should be. Talked to the previous owner (friend of mine) and he said that his uncle had indeed turned out the screw to fight a stalling problem he was having :doh:. Oh well, runs great now and gets much better mileage than it did when i bought it, so all in all a success. Still wouldnt mind beating myself sensless for being a dumbass......

Back