• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBD code 24 - HELP!!!!

JoesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
1994, 4.0, auto

Help!!! I have a stuttering XJ!! I'm lost, here's the problem, I have a check engine light on and ran an OBD I code reader to find code 24 (Throttle position sensor input above maximum). I figured maybe a bad TPS so I went out and replaced it. When I started it up everything seemed ok, so I went out of the driveway and like 50 feet down the street...stutter....vroom....stutter....vroom, vroom…..light on again with code 24.

What the hell should I do next? Sugestions? :dunno:

Thanks in advance for any help,
- Joe

it's basically complaining that the input voltage is "out of range". i believe one of the parameters it checks is the relationship in input voltage between the tps and map sensors(they receive the same 5 volt-or-so input). you should get out the handy-dandy dvm and check to see exactly what input the tps is actually receiving.

not much experience with this problem, but did you reset the computer when you replaced the TPS?
I would think unplugging the battery, giving the computer time to reset, then plugging it back in would have been part of removing the first TPS, but I know I have worked on my rig a few times and forgot to unplug the battery... I have also completely forgotten to plug back in all the sensors on the throttle body, after boring out the restriction on the lower side, and putting it back on... yeah realized after starting it and the cloud of black smoke and chugging idle clued me into the lack of sensors that were being used... duh.
silly mistakes but easy answers

Back