• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intermittent miss

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Searched but nothing matched the title of this post.....
I have a miss that only happens once and a while.It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold.Sometimes it runs perfect and then out of the blue it starts to miss at low rpms and usually clears up when it reaches higher rpms but sometimes it'll run like it's only firing on 5 cylinders until I take my foot off the gas then reapply it the miss goes away.Any thoughts?

89 xj fresh 4.0, 5 speed.

Plugs are good and the wires have about 3000 miles on them.I went for the cheap ones so I'll probably replace them with some good 8mm wires just to be sure.Pretty sure the grounds are good because I had them all loose when I replaced the motor in december....but it wouldn't hurt to double check.The iac is disconnected right now because it was causing a high,unsteady idle,I wonder if that is causing this?I don't see how that would matter.

Thanks for the advice.
Anything else anyone can think of?

if you replace the aic dont got the one the computer says at autozone there is one from i think holley that is identical but cheaper.

My 98XJ and the TJ both develop misses every few thousand miles, a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner usually clears it right up for a few weeks. Then once a year the TB's get the full treatment.

Back