• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement proportioning valve and hard lines?

JWFokker

NAXJA Forum User
I plan on replacing my entire brake system in a couple weeks (partly because the master cylinder is shot, and partly because the rest of the system is 15 years old now and might as well get replaced too), and I'm trying to find a replacement proportioning valve and hard lines, but even Rock Auto doesn't have any. I suppose I could use an adjustable prop valve from Summit Racing, but I'd rather not. New Mopar, refurbished or even used in good condition is much preferred, but I can't find anything at all. Does anyone know where I can find the proportioning valve and hard lines for a 94 XJ without ABS? I'd even buy a rust free used prop valve if someone had one. There's nothing actually wrong with the prop valve and hard lines I have now, except for the fact that it and the hard lines have turned to solid rust and I'd rather use parts in good condition instead of working with parts that are more rust than metal.

for the hard brake lines go do some measuring and pick up 3/16" double flare brake lines, and bend them up yourself. get a bender or do carefully by hand. i just did this job and its frustrating especially the front passanger side line. however it is doable. take note that the rear brake line (this is on a 98' no ABS) has a connection not far from the prop valve that has a double flare meeting a bubble flare... grrrrrrr. i just removed that connection and joined two long lengths of double flared hard line together with a union.

you can do this 3 ways. buy premade line that fits the jeep. dont know where you will find that aside from a junk yard. also i am unsure how the heck that would be able to be installed for the front pass side.... second way is to buy a roll of hardline and bend/flare/cut it yourself. third way is the way i did it. buying various lengths of already flarred hardline and bending it up yourself to fit and connecting two together if needed using a brake union. DO NOT USE A COMPRESSION FITTING. also take note that the master cylinder to the prop valve is metric bubble flares. and from the prop valve out to the brake on my truck at least had two different sized brake line nuts... though the same line diameter was used. i used a 1/2" to 3/16" adapter so i could just plug in that preflared line into the prop valve.

while you are at it obviously i'd get new soft lines too. calipers you can get cheap reman'd for like $20 a side. check for parts prices at rockauto.com and autozone. between those two you can definitly get a good deal on parts.

Back