• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picked up a new XJ!!! Couple questions...

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
What's up fella's!? Well I officially sold off my '98 XJ Classic last night. Little sad to see it go but quickly replaced it w/a newer one:dunce:. Picked up today an '01 XJ Sport,115k miles, loaded w/two-tone leather, power everything, NP231(w/SYE), 5.5" lift, Soft 8's, and new 33" BFG All Terrains, and the infamous 0331 head I'm assuming.. All in all it's a great rig and the price was right. Couple quick questions, as far as the tranny goes it's still the AW4 correct? Not going to spark another debate as to which fluid to use, but they didn't switch to ATF+4 or anything on this year did they? Other question is the cruise control isn't working. Any quick and easy demons to hunt down and fix for that?? One more thing, on my '98 I did the aux. switch for the elec. fan w/the resistor mod and was wondering if I could do the same thing on this one?

Thanks guys,

Loving NAXJA
pics
IMG00020-20090301-1637.jpg

newjeep.jpg

IMG00021-20090301-1637.jpg

jeepseats.jpg

Last edited:
Hallo. Congratulations with you new Jeep.
It is indeed an Ainsi Warner AW4 trans. But they are using DEXRON not ATF,
I prefer to switch the Efan with a new relay without interfering the ECU.
And switch the relay safe to ground in the cabin .
Maybe it is a different diagram in a newer Jeep. The 12 volt is hot when ignition is on , and the ECU controls the ground from the fan.:spin1:

'92 XJ

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I did wire mine through a relay per the writeup that's floating around the forum on my 98. Should be able to do the same on this one I take it.

Does your light come on when you hit the cruise button? Just installed mine and its not working as well.

Hallo. Congratulations with you new Jeep.
It is indeed an Ainsi Warner AW4 trans. But they are using DEXRON not ATF,
I prefer to switch the Efan with a new relay without interfering the ECU.
And switch the relay safe to ground in the cabin .
Maybe it is a different diagram in a newer Jeep. The 12 volt is hot when ignition is on , and the ECU controls the ground from the fan.:spin1:

'92 XJ
Actually, you can use ATF+4 or a full synthetic. Especially with the newer ones.

For the record.. Dexron is ATF (Automatic Trans Fluid)

You may already know this one, but I haven't seen it up. One of the most common reasons for the cruise not to work is a vacuum leak. Either the vacuum line to it is loose,/off/cracked, or there isn't enough vacuum getting to the servo. (This may be different on newer ones, but AFAIK most cruise control systems need vacuum.)

Definitely an AW4; from 1987-2001 the Cherokee XJ 4.0's only came with the AW4. Again, it's AFAIK.

A very nice little Jeep. Cool colour, beautiful shape, and looks sharp on the 33's...

:)

What's up fella's!? Well I officially sold off my '98 XJ Classic last night. Little sad to see it go but quickly replaced it w/a newer one:dunce:. Picked up today an '01 XJ Sport,115k miles, loaded w/two-tone leather, power everything, NP231(w/SYE), 5.5" lift, Soft 8's, and new 33" BFG All Terrains, and the infamous 0331 head I'm assuming.. All in all it's a great rig and the price was right. Couple quick questions, as far as the tranny goes it's still the AW4 correct? Not going to spark another debate as to which fluid to use, but they didn't switch to ATF+4 or anything on this year did they? Other question is the cruise control isn't working. Any quick and easy demons to hunt down and fix for that?? One more thing, on my '98 I did the aux. switch for the elec. fan w/the resistor mod and was wondering if I could do the same thing on this one?

Thanks guys,

Loving NAXJA
pics
IMG00020-20090301-1637.jpg

newjeep.jpg

IMG00021-20090301-1637.jpg

jeepseats.jpg
Why don't tou take the clutch fan off and get another electric fan to go in its place. That way you have dual electric fans that run off a thermostat that controls both fans from radiator temp. I've got this setup on my 93 and I love it. It runs at 210 all day long. You can get a 13" shallow fan @ O'reilleys auto parts. It is a hayden brand. They'rs the best. This way you won't need the switch or relay.

Actually, you can use ATF+4 or a full synthetic. Especially with the newer ones.

For the record.. Dexron is ATF (Automatic Trans Fluid)

ATF +4 Is a chrysler specific fluid, which contains a highly modified friction agent and the base oils are synthetic.... Dexron is a GM type fluid and can be either synthetic or dino base and the friction properties are totally different... Thus DEXRON is the fluid for the AW4 and the ATF+4 is for other chrysler transmissions where this type of fluid is called for... just for the record.

It is not smart to interchange them..... I'm really shocked that no one has corrected this yet!!

Why don't tou take the clutch fan off and get another electric fan to go in its place. That way you have dual electric fans that run off a thermostat that controls both fans from radiator temp. I've got this setup on my 93 and I love it. It runs at 210 all day long. You can get a 13" shallow fan @ O'reilleys auto parts. It is a hayden brand. They'rs the best. This way you won't need the switch or relay.
I actually just ordered one of ebay. Can't beat the price...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RADI...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
ATF +4 Is a chrysler specific fluid, which contains a highly modified friction agent and the base oils are synthetic.... Dexron is a GM type fluid and can be either synthetic or dino base and the friction properties are totally different... Thus DEXRON is the fluid for the AW4 and the ATF+4 is for other chrysler transmissions where this type of fluid is called for... just for the record.

It is not smart to interchange them..... I'm really shocked that no one has corrected this yet!!
I know... I've read umteen threads on the whole ATF vs. Dexron debacle... I've got a buddy who apparently put DexIII in his tranny and it started slipping.... Don't know what he was running before. I'm wanting to do a "poor mans flush" but don't know WTH the previous owner was using for fluid. Hopefully it was Dexron...

Type F
Dextron
Dextron II
Dextron IIE
Dextron III
Mercon
Mercon II
Mercon III
Mercon IV
Mercon V
ATF +4
Whale oil (really!)
B&M synthetic
Amsoil synthetic

Confusing, isn't it.

I actually just ordered one of ebay. Can't beat the price...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RADI...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I know... I've read umteen threads on the whole ATF vs. Dexron debacle... I've got a buddy who apparently put DexIII in his tranny and it started slipping.... Don't know what he was running before. I'm wanting to do a "poor mans flush" but don't know WTH the previous owner was using for fluid. Hopefully it was Dexron...

Its not going to hurt it, as long as you are not "backflushing" there should not be any problems. Backflushing tends to cause problems due the debris that is already in the fluid being push back through it.

^^^^What I meant by that comment was I am hoping he didn't have ATF in there and I mix Dexron in there. That might cause some issues I'm assuming.

Back