• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what size fire extinguisher?

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
I know that everybody has a fire extinguisher on their jeep, but what size? I am thinking about getting either a 5lb of two 2.5lb halon extinguishers...have way too much time and money in this thing to watch it go up it go up in flames! what are you using?

i have allways wondered if home depot 'general' extinguishers were good enough..... i know they arent good for electrical, but i dont PLAN on having a fire....

anyone know?

I just got a regular auto one from wallmart some of the runs i got on require them.

I have a 2.5 lb ABC. Ansul Sentry. Halon is hardcore.

Halon is no more, however it has been replaced by other similar "clean agents" that are less harmful to the environment. That's not to say you couldn't still find a halon extinguisher around, but you wouldn't be able to get a halon refill after using it.

Just a quick refresher for all:

Class A: Ordinary Combustibles - almost anything solid that burns

Class B: Flammable Liquids - oil, grease, alcohol, etc.

Class C: Energized Equipment - Don't be confused here, Class C doesn't mean it puts out electrical fires, just that the extinguishing agent doesn't conduct electricity. Once the power has been disconnected (battery terminals removed or melted off) you still treat it like any other fire.

Class D: Flammable Metal - In vehicles, usually magnesium

When choosing an extinguisher, the weight doesn't matter so much as the rating does. 1A is the equivalent of 1 1/4 gallons of water. For each 1B rating, an untrained user could expect to extinguish a puddle of flammable liquid that is 1 square foot in area.

So a 2A10BC Extinguisher has the extinguishing power of 2 1/2 gallons of water, could extinguish a 10 square foot puddle of flammable liquid, and will not conduct electricity. This is more than sufficient for most engine compartment fires if you catch them early enough. You have to decide for yourself though, would you feel comfortable extinguishing an engine fire with 2 1/2 gallons of water?

BC rated extinguishers are the best, ABC are second best.

In my experience (fighting car fires), I can't really agree with the above statement that a BC extinguisher is the best. If you simply have a fuel or oil fire that was sparked by an electrical problem then yes, a BC would be more effective than an ABC. However if any plastic, rubber, carpeting, air filter elements, or pretty much anything else other than oil or fuel becomes involved, you're going to want that A rating to extinguish it.

sweet, got a firefighter to chime in...

what kinda extinquishers would you recommend for a stock and modified cherokee fyrfytr1717 ?
obviously an ABC, but what capacity? is a smaller unit gonna be enough?

any low budget gems? personal favorites?

a smaller size will never be enough... it's a law of nature! :) Really though, you can never carry too many/large fire extinguishers. You also need to worry about igniting brush under/around the Jeep, too. I had a buddy lose a nice lifted ZJ because he got high-centered and his cat/muffler caught brush on fire and lit up the Jeep before they could stop it. Imagine that you walked down the trail to watch a buddy get through a mud hole, then walk back to see a brush fire under your rig. If you were there when it started, you could have used a 20oz bottle of water. But now you might need 3 5lb extinguishers to put out the brush fire.

Basically, always plan for worst-case. Mount small extinguishers between your front seats and the doors and a 5lb size near the rear hatch.

sweet, got a firefighter to chime in...

what kinda extinquishers would you recommend for a stock and modified cherokee fyrfytr1717 ?
obviously an ABC, but what capacity? is a smaller unit gonna be enough?

any low budget gems? personal favorites?

You can never have too much (anti)firepower. The amount of storage space we're willing to sacrifice is really what limits our firefighting capabilities. Need on the other hand all comes down to how soon you recognize your rig is on fire. If you are in the vehicle and traveling slowly enough to see smoke wafting out from under the hood, you can probably stop the fire with a 1A:10B:C (2.5lb) extinguisher. If you're traveling at a good clip and don't notice until smoke is pouring out from under the hood, you'll probably be alright with a 3A:40B:C (5lb) extinguisher. If you're away from your rig and don't notice until you see flames and a black cloud of smoke, it's probably too late. Given this, I'd recommend either a single 5lb extinguisher or for the sake of mounting convenience, two 2.5lb extinguishers. Two 2.5's would probably be the best as you'd be more likely to mount them up high in an easy to get to spot as opposed to a 5 pounder that may get buried under the rest of your gear.

Here's another way to look at it... once you get beyond the capabilities of a 5lb extinguisher, the chances are the fire is going to be so hot you won't be able to open the hood without protective gear. If you can't open the hood, you aren't going to be able to stop an engine fire. If you don't stop an engine fire, chances are the vehicle is totaled. You could probably slow it down enough to open the hood by attacking from under the vehicle, but will most likely get severely burned in the process.

So, favorites? No, not really. They for the most part all contain the same agent in them. In fact when the extinguisher servicing folks come around, they discharge them through a sifter into a common tank and then refill them from this same tank. You probably get most of your original agent back, but it's mixed in with agent from the 1000's of other extinguishers they've serviced. So as far as favorites go, it's really just a matter of packaging differences.

There's really two options. Buy cheapies and replace them every 5 years or so, or get a quality serviceable extinguisher that can last you a lifetime. Extinguishers have about a 5 year shelf life before the agent begins to get caked up and becomes unusable. With a serviceable extinguisher, you can bring it to your local fire protection company (this is usually a good place to purchase them too) and they will empty, sift, and recharge your extinguisher for about $20. Cheapies on the other hand typically have glued in plastic valve assemblies which can't be removed. This means you have to discard and replace your extinguisher every 5 years. I know, you're probably saying, "For $20, I could just buy another cheapy!" Read on...

I myself would lean toward a quality extinguisher and here's why. First off, valve failure is much more likely with a cheap plastic valve mechanism. Second, I'd want to permanently mount the extinguisher in my vehicle. This requires drilling holes. The chances of finding an identical cheapy extinguisher 5 years down the road is slim. This means I'm going to have to drill new holes for a new mounting bracket. Now if you're just going to toss your extinguisher under the back seat or in a toolbox, or if your Jeep is a beater that you don't mind drilling extra holes in, then by all means get a cheapy. Keep in mind though that the quality extinguishers usually come with a nice, metal clamp style mounting bracket while the cheapies come with a plastic snap in type mount. You very well may end up having to buy a new cheapy extinguisher before the 5 years is up simply because your plastic mount broke.

That being said, my personal favorite is the Amerex. It has a nice mount, a quality all metal valve, an easy to read gauge, is a nice shade of red, and has a good looking label. Like I said, packaging... Some other popular quality brands are Ansul and Badger. Most of these range from $50-$80. For cheapies, whatever you can find cheapest (Home Depot, Costco, K-Mart, etc.) is fine since it contains the same agent and is disposable anyways. Also, for a little more money, you can often find a mid-grade extinguisher at the above locations. Look for an extinguisher with a removable valve assembly. These can be serviced as well, they are just generally of a lesser quality than the extinguishers available at your local fire protection company.

Finally, don't park in dry grass or brush, don't forget about your ice chest, and don't underestimate the firefighting power of a properly thrown shovel full of sand or loose dirt.

:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

Also thought I should touch on Halon again. Due to it's ozone damaging qualities, Halon was replaced by other "clean agents." The two most common are Halon 1211 and Halotron. As mentioned above, yes, they are sweet. I'm sure the Rescue Squads at the race tracks probably carry a clean agent extinguisher as well as a CO2 extinguisher. They're nice because they leave no messy powder behind. Unfortunately for our use, they are pretty impractical. In order to get the same firefighting capabilities as a single 2.5lb dry chem extinguisher (1A:10B:C), you'd need to carry a 9lb Halon 1211 extinguisher or an 11lb Halotron extinguisher. So, 5lbs of dry chem, or 20lbs of clean agent, you make the call...

Good post!!! I was wondering the same thing. It seems to be an item you don't think about until it is needed. Thanks for the professional advice fyrfytr. This is such a valuable site!!!! :flipoff:

Halon has been replaced by FM-200.

Halon has been replaced by FM-200.

A Google search of Halon alternatives will reveal that FM-200 is not by any means the Halon replacement. FM-200 is one of many Halon replacements available in the marketplace. It's primary use is in engineered total flooding systems. A common example of this would be a system designed to protect a computer equipment room or an engine compartment on a ship. In either case, the room needs to be able to be automatically sealed and then flooded with FM-200. Obviously, our XJ's engine compartments are not sealed and therefore FM-200 would not be very effective.

While not common in the first place, portable FM-200 extinguishers do exist. However, they don't even get a 1A rating. A 10lb FM-200 gets you a meager 5B:C rating as opposed to the 1A:10B:C rating that a comparable sized Halon 1211 or Halotron extinguisher will net.

CO2 was mentioned a few posts back. Alot of people like myself carry a co2 tank for airing up tires. As a last resort could you use the co2 in those tanks to put out a fire. My tank is already bolted down and has a 30 ft hose that could be dragged to any part of the jeep. Just curious.

What about carrying an AFFF and a CO2 extinguisher (thinking about this in my Jeep, I currently have several cheap ones since that was what was in the budget at the time). I understand how caustic it would be, but then you would be covered for A, B, and C. I keep debating whether to go with a PKP(caustic as well does BC) and a cheapy or AFFF and CO2. I am a Vol. FF in Kodiak, when I take the Brush truck to the race track on race day I usually load it with several CO2 and an AFFF should we need it, and on big days I bring a few buckets of AFFF if something gets outta hand since I can hook up with the forestry gear and the tank. We have never had a fire on the track or in the pits so I am still interested in where I can plan ahead a bit more if you know what I mean.

Back