• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Put in Extended breathers... Ones missing???

cher96

NAXJA Forum User
Today I put in extended breathers for the rear diff, front diff, distributor, And I am not sure what the fourth one was for and I am still missing one.

I can't seem to find the breather tube for the NP231 or the AW4
I can't get my hand above the AW4 or the NP231. It is too tight of a space.

I found the fourth one just above the bell housing against the firewall.
Does anyone know what that one was for? Is that one for the AW4?

Would the NP231 breather tube be joined to the AW4 tube?

Please advise.

Thank you

Re: Put in Extended breathers... One's missing???

I realize where the breather tubes come out of both the AW4 and the NP231.

I am unable to get my hand above the AW4 or the NP231 to follow the tubes or to install new ones. The space is too tight.

Does anyone know what the breather tube in back of the engine, between the bell housing and the fire wall comes from?

Or, would you happen to know where the breather tube for the AW4 ends?

Or, would you happen to know where the breather tube for the NP231 ends?

Thank you for your help.

Anyone know about extended breathers?

I still need help.

I'm at a loss here and I would love to go mudding this weekend.

Anyone know what the breather tube in back of the engine, between the bell housing and the fire wall comes from?

Or, knows where the breather tubes for the AW4 and the NP231 ends?

Duh, I didn't even think about doing that!

Good idea. Thanks.

Now, I know why. I don't have a floor jack.

Last edited:
The breather for the AW4 begins at the TOP of the bellhousing and ends halfway up the dipstick.

The breather for the NP231 begins at the TOP of the t-case and ends at the TOP of the bellhousing on the AW4 (metal bracket).

The breather for the AW4 begins at the TOP of the bellhousing and ends halfway up the dipstick.

The breather for the NP231 begins at the TOP of the t-case and ends at the TOP of the bellhousing on the AW4 (metal bracket).

Thank you so very, very much.
I found one just above the bell housing against the firewall.

I will keep looking for the other one.

Thank you.

The one that is to the rear of the intake manifold should be the one for the front differential. The rear differential breather goes into the frame rail. GoJeep's website has a writeup on them all.

Today I put in extended breathers for the rear diff, front diff, distributor, And I am not sure what the fourth one was for and I am still missing one.

I can't seem to find the breather tube for the NP231 or the AW4
I can't get my hand above the AW4 or the NP231. It is too tight of a space.

I found the fourth one just above the bell housing against the firewall.
Does anyone know what that one was for? Is that one for the AW4?

Would the NP231 breather tube be joined to the AW4 tube?

Please advise.

Thank you

Where did you run the breather for the rear end to? I don't know where I want to put mine. I ran everything else to the top of the firewall.

Back