• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting another xj...........?'s

irish636

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 99xj right now and it has 232k on it. i want to get one with less miles but in doing so i want one with fulltime 4wheel. i have the 231 transfer case right now and it does pretty good but id rather have the 242. ive looked a lot on line and they all have 231's. what trim option or years did that come in???? is the full time option the only difference between the two cases?? thanks guys.

You're better off trying to find a Cherokee to your liking minus the 242 and putting one in after the fact. I don't know the numbers off hand, but I'd say less than 1 in 10 had the 242 in it. Those type of odds may make you pass on a Cherokee you really like ohterwise.

These things are getting harder and harder to find not all hacked up for off roading. I'm going to hold on to mine as long as I can as I doubt I'll ever find another low mileage Cherokee in the kind of shape mine is in. I've considered putting a 242 in it as that's what I wanted too, but the 231 did just fine through the Winter we had. I think I'll just stick with it. If it ever craps out on me, I'll consider replacing it with a 242.

You're better off trying to find a Cherokee to your liking minus the 242 and putting one in after the fact. I don't know the numbers off hand, but I'd say less than 1 in 10 had the 242 in it. Those type of odds may make you pass on a Cherokee you really like ohterwise. .
Must be a regional thing, I have seen more 242s on Cherokees than I have 231s.

Back