• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are 90-96 front brakes better than 84-89?

4wheelsgood

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 XJ (4.0L mostly stock with 3.5" lift and 31" tires), and the brakes absolutely suck - even after going thru the entire system.

I'm already planning to upgrade to a ZJ booster, as it seems to be the easiest conversion. But what concerns me is that my stock front brakes are overheating. Will a new booster alone be enough?

I am looking at swapping in a front axle out of a '95, partially to get away from the quick-disconnect issues, but also if the front brakes are any better that would be an added bonus. I see on Quadratec and other sources' pages there are different parts for front brakes on post-90 XJs. Are they any better? Worth the change?

(Yes, my rear brakes are adjusted - altho I am beginning to suspect whether my original proportioning valve is sending enough pressure to the back because adjusting them hardly seems to help.)

Back