• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ - Brakes and Rear Lift

2001JeepXJNS

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All,

Due to my lack of skills and the cold Chicago weather I am considering taking the Jeep in to get the brakes done. I will probably have the front and back done at the same time. Does anyone know of a good place to go? I was considering going to a Pep Boys, Midas, etc chain. Also, how much should it cost?

Also, I am going to attempt to upload a picture of my Jeep. I got it last September and to me it looks like the back is lower then the front. Is there something I can do to fix this?

I would appreciate any help!

watch those aftermarket shops, they try to sell unecessary things like wheel cylinders, spring kits etc. plus the quality of the brake linings isnt as good. we see a lot of aftermarket junk squeeling. Mopar has a valueline brand of brake linings that are competitively priced with the aftermarket and a much better quality product.

Not sure if this will work...

IMG_0709.jpg
[/IMG]

Normally, if you take your brakes in to a place like that, you are in for $800 to $1200 dollars. If you do it yourself, its about $75-$90. If you can't do it yourself, look for a neighborhood garage that has been there a long time and has lots of old cars parked around it. In general, the chains are rip-offs.

For the rear I added a $30 set of leaf spring helpers from autozone and it was incredible the difference made. Search Gravity Sucks and you will see my thread.

I agree with the others Chain shops make a killing on 'highly recommending' unneeded parts. Buy a shop manual and do the brakes yourself, did mine about a month ago. Changed the drum, pads, and all those little springs inside. Mine being a 98 and living in Maine a majority of its life it despereately needed it. Also try finding another memeber on this forum who lives in your area that is willing to spend two hours teaching you how to do the brakes. As for the saggy rear end it happens when you have such a small leaf pack, add a leaf its the cheepest route to go. hahah that's also another thing I need to do. On my way from Maine to Louisiana I was riding on the bumpstops at times wow hahha i'm lazy everything about that sentence screams ATTENTION!

Get a haynes or chiltons manual and tackle those puppies yourself. Take some good up close detail photos of it before you pull it apart and you should be able to tackle it yourself. The number one think that keeps people from repairing their own vehicles is not lack of skill, but fear of screwing something up. It's only parts man!!

Check out the post i done a little while back. I would paste it but dont know how!! its titled "rear leaf springs 4 duffers (pics)"

Its a post i done for retards like me. I thought about Add a leaf but decided to throw myself in and get a pair of heavy duty leaf packs fitted. It gave me 2 inches lift over stock in the rear. And for me it was simple. (as you will see, mine was exactly the same as yours!!)
Have a search and see what problems you might come up with. Add a leaf is the safer option because you havent got to undo some bolts which can be a real pain. But who knows how long they will last before they sag again:dunno:

Hello All,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I installed the leaf helpers tonight and seemed to help quite a bit. The only thing is I really had no idea how to tighten the back part of the leaf... For those of you that have installed them maybe you could let me know if I did it correctly. The back of the new leaf toward the bumber it has a bracket with a bolt that goes through it and nut on the inside and one on the ouside (I guess to not allow over tighening) and I was unsure of where to place the inside nut. Im hoping I didn't undertighten it. Any thoughts or ideas from those of you that have used the leaf helpers. The pair I bought were from Autozone for 29.99. Thanks!

Back