• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Defroster swap?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
OK - I posted up in OEM but this is also modifying my XJ so here goes...
I don't have a rear defroster.
I want one.
From what I've gathered by searching, I need:
The back glass with heater wires
The dash panel switch
To wire the switch to a relay under the hood, fuse it
Run wires from power under hood, under dash, under header panel & into the back hatch
Solder the joints & put my interior back together.

Is this all accurate?
Where the heck do I find the back glass - already tried the parts houses I know of...

I found one in the junkyard the other day for 25 bucks. Just make sure to pull the leads out too. They will just plug into your existing defroster hook ups.

Even though my jeep isn't equipped with one, the wiring is there? is this what you are saying?

I don't know if it will be there on yours. I have a 91 that wasn't equipped with the rear defrost but the wiring hook ups were still there. I didn't check to see if there was actually a harness thatt went to the front as I only needed the glass. Sorry.

Even though my jeep isn't equipped with one, the wiring is there? is this what you are saying?
This seems to be the case with most electrical/electronic options on the XJ. Extra wires, fuse slots and the like. Build 'em all the same and just install the 'options' when needed.

When I added the rear defrost on mine I replaced the glass and connected the wires, installed a switch and added the smart relay. The smart relays are not the same for all years. I had an 87 and 88 relay but needed the 92 relays. Pep boys said $72 , ouch. Friends JY said , "What people pay money for those", so free. Only used it once in 3 years.

Back