• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery making noise. ???

13bullets

NAXJA Forum User
I'm killing my battery, so I charged it up and removed it for tonight. I noticed earlier today almost a hissing sound but couldn't quite make out where it was coming from. When I was disconnecting the battery I realized that it was the source of the sound.

It's a small sound, like a tiny hiss coming through water, almost a tiny bit bubbly. The battery is an Optima yellow top, and the sound is coming from the 2 little round foam looking things on the top of it. This pic is not my battery, but so ya'll can see the little round things I'm describing.

Optima_D34_Yellow_Top.jpg

What in the hell is my battery doing?

Last edited:
sounds like your battery is toast. Bring it somewhere to have it load tested and i you have a warranty then go get a new one. If you need a new one go with a Diehard Platinum, more power for just about the same price. 4 year free replacement too!

The hissing is hydrogen gas venting, and while that is what the vents are for it shouldn't normally be doing that.

Is the system overcharging, i.e., greater than 15 volts?

Joe's right....normally, no noise from the battery.

I would do 2 things. First test the alternator and see what voltage it puts out. If you have a voltage gauge on your XJ, check that. If not, you can do this very easily with a meter. Hook the neg. cable of the meter to the neg. battery terminal and the pos. cable of the meter to the positive battery terminal. Choose DC voltage range. At high idle it should be a bit around 14-14.5 volts. If it's overcharging, that could result in the venting noise and in that case, probably time for a new alternator.

Then load test your battery to ensure it is still functional electrically. Overcharging is very hard on a battery.

My xj alternator is charging ar 14v, I had it tested about 2 months ago when I bought the Optima, and my charger is set on 2A trickle. Load testing it is, maybe Oriellys will replace it with something different. This is the secong time it has died, the first was after my jeep sat for a week, that time it would at least click when I turned the key. This time it's been about 3 weeks of sitting, and when I tried to start it I got nothing. Jumped it off with my truck.

Yes. It is indeed a good idea to start with looking for a power drain.
A DMM (Amp)on max 20 A between the - post of the battery and the chassis. Groundcable detached . 35 mAmp is usual.(ECU,Radio,Clock)
You can also test it safer with a 12 Volts testlight or led.
If testlight is weak: small drain. If testlight is strong: big drain or short. :yap:

p.s. all the users have to be out.(check doors,glove box,trunk lamp etc.)

Last edited:
Your vehicle is drawing too much with the key off. You should be good sitting for 2 months with a high grade battery like that.

Yes. It is indeed a good idea to start with looking for a power drain.
A DMM (Amp)on max 20 A between the - post of the battery and the chassis. Groundcable detached . 35 mAmp is usual.(ECU,Radio,Clock)
You can also test it safer with a 12 Volts testlight or led.
If testlight is weak: small drain. If testlight is strong: big drain or short. :yap:

p.s. all the users have to be out.(check doors,glove box,trunk lamp etc.)

That is a whole different thread. Still am unsure of what the purpose of said fuse is.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=986625

Quoting Optima website: "If the vehicle is to be stored for long periods you should use a maintenance charger to compensate for this drain. This charger should be voltage regulated between 13.2 - 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum. On older vehicles, without electronics, disconnect the battery cables when the vehicle is not being used for extended periods."

Your charger is 2 amp?

Yes my charger is 2 amp, it's lowest setting. I called optima, and told them the issue, and that I jumped it off and then charged it on 2A trickle, they said that shouldn't have caused the battery to hiss and to return it for exchange. That there is a problem with the valve inside opening up?

Just get it replaced ASAP. DO NOT jump start with that battery any more and do not attempt to charge it any further; it may explode. That's worse case scenario and might not happen, but it might and it won't be pretty for anyone nearby. You don't want to be wearing battery hot battery guts.
I've only seen a battery go like that one time. Luckily, there were windshields and hoods in the way and nobody got hurt. Made a hell of a mess of his engine bay and ruined my new jumper cables.

Back