• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 random dying need help

sniper4x42002

NAXJA Forum User
my wifes 2000 xj classic started dying at random. she had drove it all day then it just died, we costed for a while and it started back up. we drove it five miles or so then it died again but didnt start back up, we waited 10 min then it started. havent had a problem the rest of the way home. any thoughts i was thinking cps or fuel pump/filter.

Check if there is a code stored. Problem like that may not light the CEL, but may have dropped a code. Wife's ZJ did that. Replaced both crank and cam position sensors. (Hers is '98 so it has the cam sensor in the distributor), been fine ever since. What's mileage? CPS's seem to go about 80000+ or so.....

Sounds like it really could be either. I'd sooner put in a CPS than drop the tank and mess around with the pump/filter. Like I said, ~80000 seems to be about when the CPS takes a dump. One thing you might try is locate the connector for the CPS and plug it in and out a couple times, see if cleaning the contacts that way does anything for you....

Intermittents are the absolute worst to track down.

Like winterbeater, I'm never an advocate of throwing parts at a problem and you can test the crank sensor and cleaning the connector to if you want as mentioned, but be aware that it might test good unless you are IN a no-start condition.

I think the odds are pretty high that the crank sensor is your culprit. Buy a good quality one if you go that route. Use the SEARCH function for more information and tips on replacing it. It's in a pretty tight spot.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Crankshaft Position Sensor: (CPS/CKP) Failure Symptoms / Testing

*Both the fuel gauge and or voltage gauge may not work/display

*It is possible that you may see a No Bus on the odometer (on newer models only)

*You will have no spark. Fuel pressure may check out okay at the fuel rail, but fuel won’t get to the fuel injectors

*For 96 + newer, sometimes the OBDII code reader has trouble connecting to /reading codes. Crankshaft position sensor failure may or may not result in a check engine light/fault code.

*Crankshaft position sensors can be intermittent resulting in an abrupt misfire. "Thermal failure" is common. Thermal fail means that the sensor fails when engine gets hot, but works again when engine cools down. Be aware of this when testing, as if you have a sensor that suffers from thermal failure, it’s possible that it may test GOOD as soon as it cools down.

*Don’t get tunnel vision and assume the sensor is bad (unless it checks out as bad with a meter) Damaged wiring or a dirty connector can inhibit the signal from making it to the computer. Check/clean/repair as necessary.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRANKSHAFT SENSOR TESTING PROCEDURE: 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.

2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C. The terminals are identified as A-B-C looking into connector from left to right with the "notch" in the middle of the connector on your right. Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-10K scale for this test.

3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if LOW RESISTANCE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CRANKSHAFT SENSOR TESTING PROCECURE: 1987 – 1990 4.0 L engines

Test # 1

Get a volt/ohm meter and set it to read 0 - 500 ohms. Unplug the sensor and measure across the connector's A & B leads. Your meter should show a resistance of between 125 - 275 ohms. If the reading is out of range, replace sensor.

Image3.jpg

Test # 2

You'll need a helper for this one. Set the volt/ohm meter to read 0 - 5 AC volts or the closest AC Volts scale your meter has to this range. Measure across the CPS leads for voltage generated as your helper cranks the engine. (The engine can't fire up without the CPS connected but watch for moving parts just the same!) The meter should show .5 - .8 VAC when cranking. If it's below
.5 VAC, replace sensor.

Last edited:
Test the CPS.

Or, just replace it. At some point in the life of your Cherokee, the CPS is going to fail and the Jeep will be dead until you replace the CPS. The question is do you want to fix it on a dark and rainy night beside a busy roadway or in the driveway ?

Back