• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welder: good or no?

I'm sure it will do a nice short circuit weld, but you probably won't be doing any spray arc with a 120v. It should be fine for any general purpose work

The welder will have the rating on it, probably under the cover around the spool of wire. Its probably only good up to 1/8 th material maybe 3/16ths but I would guess 3/16s is pushing it for that welder.
I wouldnt use it to weld anything to my axles.

Ah ok cool thx. But I guess I could just practice with it right?

Thats true. And from what I have found out on those smaller units it that the flux core settings let you weld thicker materal than the mig setting. Just something to keep in mind.

up to how thick? and what do most of you guys use, as for welders. i know millers a good brand but what else is out there at a pretty fair price?

Miller, Lincoln, Hobart are all good machines

The welder will have the rating on it, probably under the cover around the spool of wire. Its probably only good up to 1/8 th material maybe 3/16ths but I would guess 3/16s is pushing it for that welder.
I wouldnt use it to weld anything to my axles.

What is the wall thickness of an average axle tube? Dana 44 or Chryco 8.25 for example?

Some HP44s have .5" wall axle tubes.

I have a Miller 180. I'd buy the same one again.

I'm in West Sac. If you tacked something up and brought it over all ready to go, I'd be happy to burn it in for you.

I have the Hobart 187, and i have been really happy with it. pretty good price for what you get as well. cyberweld.com has some really good prices... if you are in the market, you should check it out

No, but I might be able to help you put a real front suspension under it. :D
Well with a new baby born yesterday and my bills, I don't hunk that will be for a while. Plus, I like to be a little different. But seriously if you have ever done or seen it I'd be willing to work out a price with yuh.

Back