• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting much better....not quite there yet

Curtis_H

NAXJA Forum User
So I posted earlier on my 87 wagoneer idling rough and high when it was warm. Ive replaced CTS, TPS, IAC, EGR, and O2 sensor. Tps was adjusted to spec per fsm. Also replaced the downpipe as it had a few pinholes and was annoyingly loud. Sounds great now, and the idle has smoothed out considerably, but shes still idling high, steady at 1000 rps when warm. Any suggestions? I did just order a RE 3.5" lift with some outlaw 2s and hankook 31s, maybe that will appease the jeep godshasta

First, locate and repair any vacuum leaks. That should take care of the high idle.

Second, if there are absolutely no vacuum leaks or after locating and repairing all vacuum leaks the idle is too high you can adjust the base idle screw, 3/32 allen wrench if memory serves me well, then you must readjust the TPS.

I think you are looking for 700-750 RPM, fully warmed up.

ive been battling idling issues when warm on my 89 for years, even after testing/replacing sensors, tune-ups, throttle body and iac cleaning, electrical connections. you name it, ive done it. i finally got control of it after cleaning a ground that i never saw. in front of the windsheild washer fluid tank, there is a ground connected to the drivers side fender. this ground leads to the main loom of wires going to the connection near the booster leading to the fuse block. also check the ground connections at the ecu pins.

although bothersome, is a 1000k idle bad? i drive a 5 sp, so i can just take it out of gear when stopped and idling. i know how you feel as i get anal when it comes to not be able to find the culprit.

I think it is becoming more of an annoyance that i cant fix it vs a real problem. I just know it's not right and I should be able to fix it, so i beat my head against the wall until something gives :flamemad:

I think it is becoming more of an annoyance that i cant fix it vs a real problem. I just know it's not right and I should be able to fix it, so i beat my head against the wall until something gives :flamemad:

your not the only one, there is a thread called the renix files and shows ways how to combat the high idle.

Back