• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tall Coil Question

you can, but the amount of fabrication you would need to do would not only outweigh the benifits, but they would cost more than buying a bigger vehicle.

anything you can do with 44s, dozens of people already do with 36s and 37s

taller is not always better. youd need a decent amount of lift, the widest and heaviest axles you could find, and the deepest gearing you could get to actually turn those things.

your driveline will be outrageous, and it will be very awkward and really only benificial in mud, Its not really the tires that do ALL of the pushing and pulling, you need ALOT of torque and horsepower to turn those things when it gets deep and thick. so unless you plan on buying a crate moter like a small block, youll find you can go a little further on mud traps and a little deeper too, but not as much as you had hoped. if muds all you like to do, then go for it, but im sure you like to trail ride a bit.

you can get 44s on 7-8 inches of lift. (if you cut pretty much the whole thing...)

I want to crawl mostly but out trails out here get DEEP so that is why I wanted to be prepared for anything and run a taller tire. What is the tallest spring that you guys know of that has been used on an XJ that I can still flex with. I have also pondered the idea of dropping the suspension like 4 inches down and using like some 8 inch springs kind of fabbing a 12" but still having the stability of an 8" spring or is there a better way. Thanks

JamesD said:
I want to crawl mostly but out trails out here get DEEP so that is why I wanted to be prepared for anything and run a taller tire. What is the tallest spring that you guys know of that has been used on an XJ that I can still flex with. I have also pondered the idea of dropping the suspension like 4 inches down and using like some 8 inch springs kind of fabbing a 12" but still having the stability of an 8" spring or is there a better way. Thanks

You really would save time and money just buying an old beater Chevy or Ford truck. Those can fit big tires for cheap using big blocks and big springs/coils without much hassle. For an XJ, the cost would be substantial, and it wouldn't be useful or effective at all to try to fit 44's. you're talking new axles, new gears, probably a new stronger engine, extensive fabbing of pretty much everything...and that's just to get it to drive. All in all, 12' of lift on an XJ is not a good idea and you won't really find anyone on here that has done it.

Chris

I am open to fabbing anything. I have axles in the works and a motor if needed. I am just looking to find what coils I can use to get this height.

Well, since you seem set on meeting darwin... I will help! Rustys makes a 9" lift coil i believe. Skyjacker makes a 8" coil. Rock Krawler has a 8" coil. Clayton Off Road has 8" coils. You really would be better off going leaf springs or coil overs.

Does anyone know the limitations on coil overs as far as height constraints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.. the taller the vehicle over all... the stiffer the spring rates need to be. Basically bub... tall vehicles bring the suck. 44s bring even more suck.

Be happy with 37", much bigger is really asking for another vehicle. Sure, it can be done, not really too difficult, but what has been said is entirely true. Big tires(44) = Big engine = Big Axles = Big Transfer Case = Big $, if that was your goal why did you pick an XJ? There are a ton of vehicles that would be alot easier and much less expensive to do it to.....

There is no other vehicle I would rather drive.. I love my Cherokee, if I had a desire to run 44s I am not going to change my entire view on how much I like Jeep, and my Cherokee, just because it would be easier to mod something bigger... you know??

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to do it anyway LOL. If I ruin it oh well I will start over with another. I have a few to destroy so let it begin. And there are quite a few that run thru e-bay with 44's so it can be done just not as much as the smaller tires and they have some awesome flex if done correctly.

I would say to start this procedure you need to do an internal cage and then cut off the back and remove the front fenders and tube it out so that you can flex.

I was wheeling yesterday with a guy in a 90 chevy K5 blazer complete tube chasis and he was runing some coilovers in front that were like 36" tall at least. Not saying he had a 36" lift...just that the coilover unit was that tall. He also said that just the spring for the coilover was $750 each...then you need the shocks. He has 40 grand in his chevy rockcrawler. His tube chasis was 6 grand.

If you have the pockets, go ahead and do it. I have no problem seeing an XJ on 44's.

I would do coil overs if you want it correctly and tons of flex, but you will also need a custom long arm. On the cheap side, I would do leaf springs all the way around, you will be surprised how much flex you can get with leaf springs and 44's. You will also need some kind of cade, weather is internal or external, thats up to you. But it should be tied in everywhere.

A cage is a must and I am working on that currently. I am starting out with the S&W 13 point and adding a few touches here and there. I know this thing will be cut up like crazy but that is a given. I am not worried about how pretty it is. I just want it to go where I need it to. I know this may be ghetto but for stability purposes. Could I build up perches on the chassis and the axles to where I may have an additional 4-6 inches of lift and use an 8" spring so theoretically I will have a 12" lift but only the travel out of an 8" spring or will that even make a difference for flex purposes having a shorter spring than the "lift" is.

Oh and as far as arms. I am studying everything that I can find on Geometry of suspension and how it should be setup. I have built custom suspension but nothing that involved alot of articulation. Any good write ups on specifically 4 link geometry and the do's and don'ts would be appreciated. I have read alot so don't flame and say search.

Sweet I will turn it over and do it again. LOL :) This is what it is for. THARSHING it. Why build it if you can't have fun.

Back