• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ausie locker

jd4x426

NAXJA Forum User
ok here it goes im looking to put an ausie locker in my 96 but it seems they only make em in 29 spline i have 27 spline so my question is will the 29 spline shafts swap directly in my housing with the new 29 spline locker or will i need other things :us:

You would need a new carrier.

ok here it goes im looking to put an ausie locker in my 96 but it seems they only make em in 29 spline i have 27 spline so my question is will the 29 spline shafts swap directly in my housing with the new 29 spline locker or will i need other things :us:

I am in the same shoes you are in having a "96 with a 1995 production date. With the need to get a new carrier to use 29 spline shafts I am strongly considering just going to a detroit. Building on the 27 spline c8.25 isn't much better than building on the dana 35 from the reading I've done.

I talked with the guys at Randy's ring and pinion about this subject and the carrier itself is the same for 27 or 29 spline. If you get the locker for the 29 spline, you can just slide the 29 spline axles in and be done. The only difference is like 1/16" in axle length, it's no factor.

I talked with the guys at Randy's ring and pinion about this subject and the carrier itself is the same for 27 or 29 spline. If you get the locker for the 29 spline, you can just slide the 29 spline axles in and be done. The only difference is like 1/16" in axle length, it's no factor.
Dont know who you talked to,but your info is wrong.Just go check their website,they sell 2 carriers 96 and earlier, and 97+!
http://www.ringpinion.com/PartsList.aspx?SearchMode=Diff&TypeID=2&Type=Chrysler&DiffID=7&DiffName=Chrysler+8.25&CatID=4&CatName=Cases+%26+Spider+Gears&CatType=Sub-Differential

Last edited:

WRONG!!! They are most defiantly not the same. Randy's normally has knowledgeable people but that one is dead wrong and gave you poor advice!

2 completely different carriers, the side gears have a larger boss on the 29 spline and will only work in a 29 spline carrier. Same goes for the Aussie, I have one for the 8.25 and it will ONLY fit the 29 spline carrier.

WRONG!!! They are most defiantly not the same. Randy's normally has knowledgeable people but that one is dead wrong and gave you poor advice!

2 completely different carriers, the side gears have a larger boss on the 29 spline and will only work in a 29 spline carrier. Same goes for the Aussie, I have one for the 8.25 and it will ONLY fit the 29 spline carrier.
Thanks for the correction guys. I have never done this swap and I was going on what I was told. I guess it pays to do your own research. :eyes:

Back