• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubbing link kit on coils

Americanpower

NAXJA Forum User
Hi

I have 4" lift with stock LCA, 1988 XJ. The rubber on the link kit is rubbing on the coil spring, Since the rubber is gone, the bolt started to grind the coil.
I know I'm supposed to change LCA's but I don't have the money for now. I need a cheap temporary solution because I need my truck on monday and I'm gonna put some LCA and quick-disconnects only next summer.A seller at National4wd said me that a swaybar relocation bracket won't solve my problem.

-What can I do for now ?? Cheap and simple

-And what the worst can happend to link kit rubbing of coil spring ??

If its the sway bar link that you are talking about hitting the coils, you can tell the guy at national that he is a retard and the relocation bracket will work. Either that or get some longer sway bar links.

Hi

I have 4" lift with stock LCA, 1988 XJ. The rubber on the link kit is rubbing on the coil spring, Since the rubber is gone, the bolt started to grind the coil.
I know I'm supposed to change LCA's but I don't have the money for now. I need a cheap temporary solution because I need my truck on monday and I'm gonna put some LCA and quick-disconnects only next summer.A seller at National4wd said me that a swaybar relocation bracket won't solve my problem.

-What can I do for now ?? Cheap and simple

-And what the worst can happend to link kit rubbing of coil spring ??

Most auto parts sales people are clueless IMO. Do your own research.
You need to lower and move forward the sway bar mounts. A sway bar relocation bracket is the fix. Make them yourself or buy them from RE . http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/XJ/Product.aspx?part=RE9921

Continued rubbing in the same spot will eventually carve a groove in the coil spring, setting up a stress riser. This may cause the spring to break. Besides that, the rubbing noise sounds terrible, especially when flexing the suspension.

You should also adjust the links so that the sway bar itself is set at 15 degrees, plus or minus 5 degrees.
http://www.jksmfg.com/support/install_qrd_pn2000_2001_2002.pdf
See page two for proper adjustment of links.

Back