• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alt. arched, killed motor, wont start

forcefed

NAXJA Forum User
96 xj country, obdII (with some obd 1 connectors), 4.0L, AT, 4wd. stock

my alternator has been going out for awhile. As a short term remedy, I would hit the back of it with this mini hammer i have, It would start working for awhile, and then out again, i'd hit it again, work for awhile and so on. X2 xj's.

Well it hit it, it arched terminals, and died instantly. It cranks but No spark, No fuel, I'm positive.

I've replaced with brand new, the crank sensor, cam sensor from the distributor, The asd relay from under the dash, checked all fuses in both boxes, A Pcm from an identical xj (used), and coil. fuel pump primes.

One odd thing, the first time i took a plug out, i guess i brushed an a/c condenser with the plug, and swear i saw a spark, not in the plug, just throwing it out there....

no spark, no fuel, no check engine, no codes, no clue.

Last edited:
yep no spring left to push the brushes against the stator.
so im replacing the alt with a 120 amp crysler unit. im going to strip the loom off the rest of wiring and check for anything, but i dont expect to find anything.

Probably time to test something. You need a multimeter ($4). Test to see if you have voltage to your ASD relay. You mention ASD under the dash. On mine (2000) it is in the fuse box under the hood. I think it's there on all years, but I'm not positive.

the asd is under the hood fuse block. i have swaped it aswell though, i was refering to the blue relay under the dash in front of the drivers knee, what is that one?
i went to napa and asked for the asd, there comp called it something different, it fits where the blue one went, and is way to big for the fuse block under the hood.

The dark green/black wire to the PCM should always have 12V, Also on the ASD, one socket should have 12V all the time, one other socket should have 12V when you turn the key on. A wiring diagram for your year would really help you out.

I can feel your pain my xj has been broke down no spark for like 6 weeks now good luck with it....NAXJA

I have yet to conqer the wiring diagram. But i will give it a try.
i only get one socket that gets 12v to the asd, all other relevant sensors are getting their voltage.
I hope at the end of this ordeal, i dont feel stupid.....

Last edited:
Howdy, any idea of the condition of your battery? You have had a crapping-out alternator for HOW long?

Fully charge the battery and have it load tested. While that is being done, clean all your cable ends and renew all grounds.

Have you replaced the shorted-out alternator yet or is still killing the system?

Life begins with the battery.

the battery is fine. 6 mo orbital gold, plenty of juice.

I replaced the alternator. I guess the key is to figure out what else shorted out with the alternator. starring at the wire diagram makes me feel stupid.

At this point, ive changed the crank sensor, cam sensor, tps, both o2's, the alternator, pcm, the asd relay, cleaned and greased all connections, pulled the wire from the wire loom
i dont get it i seem to have power to all my sensors, and the sensors are all new and seem to be working.

I'll be driving to alaska soon so i dont mind buying new stuff, aside from the spare used stuff i have from my other striped xj.

Last edited:
Back