• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Firestone Destination M/T? what do you guys think of them?

I had some 31s on my XJ for a couple of years. They wore like steel & gripped good in most terrain and I would have replaced them with another set except after a while the lugs wore unevenly. They got LOUD as hell on the street and especially the highway!
If you wouldn't mind the noise, then go for a set.

Tony

I looked at those and then got the BFG M/T's. I am happy with my choice.

I had some 31s on my XJ for a couple of years. They wore like steel & gripped good in most terrain and I would have replaced them with another set except after a while the lugs wore unevenly. They got LOUD as hell on the street and especially the highway!
If you wouldn't mind the noise, then go for a set.

Tony

How often did you rotate your tires?

and i was looking at the bfg mt km's but there discontinuing those soon and the km 2's for a 33x12.50 15's are like really hard to get.

never mind a i went ahead and ordered the km2's. But if anyone has a 33" spare they want to sell me. that would be cool.

I'll chime in anyway...
I had a set of 33x12.50R15s and loved them! Granted it wasn't my DD, they lasted me 5 years, and about 50K hard miles.
I kept a close eye on the pressure, and rotated them pretty often, probably every 2-3k miles.
The traction was good in mud and on the rocks, as well as on road.
They also actually measure 33", unlike the BFGs that tend to run small. At a glance, most thought I had 35s.
I would have gotten them again, but I went to 35s, and they don't make a 35 for a 15" wheel :(

My buddy had a set with over 20000 on them and they still looked like new. Great tire he would rotate with oil changes and didnt have any wearing problems or much road noise. Great tire only reason he got away from them as stated they dont go past 33s for 15" rim.

The Firestone Detonator M/T is a nice tire but I believe weak sidewalls disappointed a friend of mine.

I believe weak sidewalls disappointed a friend of mine.
That doesn't count, you said "I think" and "friend" :rolleyes:

From my personal experience, they are as strong or stronger than about any "normal" radial M/T. Mine were about the same, maybe a little thicker than the 35" SSRs I just threw on.

My brother runs 265/75/16 (32's) on his '02 Tacoma, and I must honestly say they perform pretty damn well, especially in the mud they clean and bite very well in the black swampy shit. Highway noise is noticeable, but not that bad. The sidewalls are pretty tough, he airs them down on the trail to about 12-15 psi and they havent torn yet, under pretty good abuse.

Back