• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny question

norcalxj89

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so i have a 89 cherokee and i found another 89 cherokee that i want but the tranny in it doesnt work... i was wondering how i can tell if the tranny in my cherokee will fit in the other cherokee and i could just swap it over...

If both of them are 4.0's then they have the AW4 transmission given they are automatics. In that case, yes they will swap over.

If they are manual then you will have to ask someone else.

Tranny swap isnt too hard of a job and shouldnt take more than a day.

I am betting they are both autos and this job should be simple.

I would also go the easy route and see if its a bad TCU instead of a dead tranny.......my transmission had 240k on the clock and ran like a champ....the TC chain was stretched alot, but other than that its all good. I would speculate a bad TCU.

Give it a shot, what are they asking for it?

yea there both 4.0's and both automatic he wants 1200 for it its got rebuilt motor with 30k miles on it lifted already really good condition im going to look at it before work today

I wouldn't pay that much.....I got my 1990 with a bad 4.0 for $600 in pristine condition.....remind him how much work you'll have to put into it to get it going (even if it is just one day's work)

I agree, find out the symptoms of the tranny problem. It might be as simple as a blown fuse to the trans computer. If it shifts manually with the shifter, then that is the first thing to check. If its slipping badly or the tranny fluid smells burnt then a tranny swap to be the simplest and quickest fix.

Back