• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

purplexj's MJ trailer

purplexj

NAXJA Forum User
Finally decided to do something with my MJ. I could'nt get the tittle from the city marshall because of lazy people who don't like doing thier jobs. Everything is shugar and spice untill after the sale then they don't want to know you from Adam. But you can register a homebuilt trailer with a bill of sale and proof of ownership. It' been sitting in the driveway for 2-3 years. Procrastination was getting the better of me until I just did'nt want it anymore and got rid of the parts car I had for it too.

Cant get pic's to show here but put one pic showcase readers rigs page 154. Manage attachements is not coming up for me here or I'm doing something wrong. Also started an album but don't know to move pic's .

picture.php

This is it cut and while it still had the SOA on it. You can't tell from the pic but the height does'nt mutch up well. Just swapped out 1.5" bomerangs for 1" and put the 1" on the trailer. Now jeep sit about 3" and trailer is level.

picture.php

Wow...
All because you couldn't get some paper work done...

Yes I did. I could'nt get a tittle so I could'nt register, insur or drive it. The paper work the marsall's gave me was so bad I could'nt even prove ownership. I have a friend who runs a towing crew for the marshall and he was'nt able to get the papers either. A lein would have worked but I was fed up. 3 years in your mom's driveway will do that to you. Did I mention no rust, althiugh I did'nt look under the rug there was'nt any on the chassis aside from was normal . Now I have another problem with an Olds 88 Royale. DMV says it missing a bill of sale. One owner. but transfered through auction- buyer- wholesaler- retailer. I did'nt trailer this one home first though, Wainting for papers to tittle it in my name first. No rust on this one.

picture.php

Plan was to get it looking somewhat like this by spring.

picture.php

I was actually going to buy this one for a grand but he decided to fix and keep.

By the way the MJ motor has 144k and runs like new, mine has about 300k and still runs good but you never know. I was giving the cab away for free and was contacted by someone on here after I had gotten rid of it. Xtreme, I did your trailer pics. I kept looking at builds and saw yours just after I started. My friend had it up on the lift yesterday and after I got home I noticed they lifted it up by the body. I don't know if you can tell by the pics. I'm trying to not get upset till I see what he says. Good thing I have plenty of before and after pics at the shop. Learned that a long time ago. I have the pics on my lap top to show them on monday. I'll post them here when I go upstairs.

This is before the lift.

picture.php

This is on the lift.

picture.php

Don't know if you can see it in this pic but I can.

picture.php

In the last pic it already had the SOA removed and has the 1 1/2" TNT bomerangs from the XJ. The XJ now has 1" TNT bomerangs and the Jeep and trailer look even.

With the soa.

picture.php

No I'm not 57. Sometimes you just do what you want to because you want to. Some people pimp out Hyundai's. Thiers a guy down the block from me pimped out two of them and maxed out his Pep Boys card in the process. I know thier pimped out because they say so on the back. I'll try and snap a pic if I get the chance, You won't believe it if I don't. Still other people will buy a $2000 camaro that handles well and put $4000 24" dubs, $2000 doors that lift up, system that makes you go deaf and ghost ride down the blvd. Just because it's thiers and they want to. Can't just go around doing what everone tells you to do. I did'nt start my own business to make lots of money, I did because I don't like being told what to do. Always open to criticism and advise though.

I'll admit I cut mine... I'll also admit I've wanted to do it for close to 15 years now. Didn't have a XJ back then and life changed direction a few times inbetween. I went looking for a beat up MJ & found this one...
What I cut up was a 19 yr. old clapped out 289+ mile MJ that to build back up to a good rig would of cost over 10K to get back to a nice reliable rig... I have neither the time nor the need for another rig... this trailer will be taking a LOT of work to get it where I want it...
The MJ (parts) will live on in other projects with other people... I see it as a new direction for half the MJ... if I allow the project to go and sit and not finish it or not use it then it would be sad...

Purple... too bad about the lift... if you haven't, check out Prepmech's trailer build on here or Expedition Portal in the adventure trailer forum. Good stuff.

Curt

No I'm not 57. Sometimes you just do what you want to because you want to...

Sorry, you're right (you ought to be, huh?): You were born in 57, and are only 51.

Still plenty old enough to not have to leave your toys in mom's driveway.

And I understand cutting up a total loss like Curt (Xtreme) says he did.

But to butcher a clean, rust-free MJ, to make a trailer, is just wrong.

Even if you don't care about how hard the things are getting to find, it was a big mistake just from you own financial view: I know you could've gotton at least a couple grand out of it, even without the title.

I don't know... Like you said, it was your rig, to do with as you pleased.

I would have done something different.

Robert

Well I pay the bills at my mom's and own it but she lives there. I totally agree with what your saying and I never tried to sell a car without a tittle to anyone. It was rust free but not mint. I've seen much worse cars for more money and much better for less money. It was deff a keeper and I would have put money into it but. The MJ was taken away for scoflaw and the PO was not going to surrender the tittle. The marsalls off files oficial papers with the state stating the vin. Which in this case was 5 different papers with 5 different vin#'s. Only 1 vin even matched a Jeep , but not the correct year. The other vin's were various makes, and no one at thier off was able to catch that. I went to the DMV and called and web site. Answer was always the same " marshsall must fix paper work". I don't like people getting pissed at me for not providing them with a way to tittle thier car. Plus the fact that the hicks that constantly came by and asked, are you getting rid of that cause I'll take(free). Or I'll give you a couple of bucks for it. There is a u-pull-it in CT that has at least 5 different rust free MJ's in the yard everytime I go up there. You don't know how bad I wanted to drive this thing.

Back