• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tax$ ,what to do ?

T's94xj

NAXJA Forum User
should I get a lift or new shoes ,lift wise looking at a R/E or a R/C 3'' w/ new leafs ,Shoe wise bfg a/t ,,rig is just for trail riding and camping , what is the biggest shoes to fit stock xj, all input will be helpful

Stick it under the mattress for a rainy day? If you're just trail riding and camping and its still a daily driver, you'll probably by fine with stock height and a set of 30" BFG ATs.

won't 30's rub at full compression?? if so a budget lift (rear shackle & front coil spacers should be fine...If you insist on a lift I would go with Rusty's they actually are the cheapest I can find that comes with full rear leafs not the add-a-leaf. I have heard great things about them and plan on getting one myself...Just remember your looking at about $600-$1000 for tires once you go above 30's.

They might, but again I think that'll depend on what he's doing with the vehicle. The main reason for my suggestion of 30's was price as you mentioned.

Maybe we should back up a bit and ask what exactly are you looking to do with this? Mild fire roads and camping don't need much articulation. A set of decent a/t tires in a reasonable size might be all you need. Not trying to hold you back, just help plan upgrades as going with a budget boost and then a year later jumping to a 3.5" or taller is a waist of money. Much more than 30 or 31s and you might be wanting to regear, etc.

Before you start lifting and locking, make sure you have recovery gear like a rear hitch, front hooks, either a come-along or high lift, and a few basic spare parts and tools. This is especially true if you are heading out alone - never recommended but lots of people do it without incident.

so, your anti lift lawsoncl?

i know this is oem tech, but live a little...

i dont do hardcore rock crawling, and i wouldnt be caught dead in a stock height xj....
he obviously asked about 2 lift kits, i responded.
show me someone who regreted installing that kit, and i'll show you someone who doesnt belong on naxja!

tow hooks are fine, and easy... whatever
dont go out alone..;. change your underwear every day, dont forget to brush your teeth too, and cook your chicken all the way... blah blah blah

Last edited:
i dont know, but when i first lifted to 3", i also put on new tires. i think you need money for both along with more money for recovery, tools, other upgrades....

im with lawsoncl, what ever you do, make your decesion wisely.

First, you should determine the "normal" ride height for the worst case scenario.

Casual trail riding: you & spouse, couple of small kids and a picknick basket?

Camping trip: you & spouse, couple of small kids, and damn near everything but the kitchen sink?

What about body mass? Are you related to Twiggy, or The Klumps?

These are real world questions you should answer BEFORE buying a lift or tires.

so, your anti lift lawsoncl?
i know this is oem tech, but live a little...

Can't really say I'm anti-lift as I do have a 5.5" lifted MJ.

Imho, the best thing is to figure out what your needs are and plan an upgrade path that fits those needs and budget. If you just want a lift and bigger tires because it looks nice, then quality of tires and flexibility aren't really important, A budget boost and cheap A/Ts are a good way to go. Rock crawling obviously demands much more articulation than mild trail running where the main concern might be high-centering. Running mud doesn't need height so much as clearance to fit big mudding tires. If you really want to end up with 4.5" of lift and 33s, maybe holding off and doing it all at once is better than doing it in smaller steps.

In my case, I put a lot of thought into my needs. I run mostly fireroads and the dirtbike trails. My first upgrades were recovery points, straps, chain, and a come-along. I already had a winch from the YJ I sold. I don't have a needs for lots of articulation, but being a long wheel base, high centering and needing bigger tires were my issues. It actually was cheaper for me to go straight to 5.5" since I just went spring-over in the rear and bought the front half of a rough country XJ lift kit. Its a bit stiff, but that works well as my daily driver and handles my offroad needs/desires. I also planned and swapped in a set junkyard 4.11 axles at the same time. The price was well within my budget and was accomplished over about 4 days.

On my YJ, I just wanted to clear bigger tires and sit a little higher. A 1.5" body lift worked nicely to clear 31s. It was a short enough wheel base that high centering wasn't that much of an issue. The lunchbox locker really helped running in deeper snow, although if you got too happy with the go pedal I'd dig all 4 tires in and end up sitting on the frame.

So, maybe I don't have an answer of even too much helpful advice here?

Back