• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roaring grinding noise on 98 xj

championjeep

NAXJA Forum User
just got a 98 xj with a np231 tc and im trying to track down a roaring grinding type noise coming from underneath. i start to hear it at about 20 mph and it gets worse on up seems to be the noisiest at 45 mph still does it when i shift to neutral and turning dont seem to make a difference.my first guess was the wheel bearings but my front wheels seem tight and my back wheels go in and out just a little but i think thats normal cause my 92 is the same and its fine. checked my diff fluids their fine, ujoints are fine. the only thing i found was that i can pull the front driveshaft in and out of the TC a little but i dont know if that is normal or not so i really need some help this is my dd any help is appreciated greatly. thanks

Possibly front carrier bearings...My dads 99 had this issue. It sounded like he had knobby mud tires with a groan to it.

didn't read the whole post... you can move the front driveshaft in and out of the t-case???? I don't know what that means...but it's not normal. Schedule an appointment with a mechanic they will be able to tell what it is quite easily and quote you in a matter of minutes. It's pretty crucial to fix things fast especially if it's your daily driver...

being able to pull the driveshaft out of the t-case is bad. elaborate on exactly what parts you can move on how far.

to check the carrier bearings, you'd need to pull the front cover, pull the shafts, and pull the bearing caps off and then pull the carrier out and put it all back together...

where is the grinding coming from? like, is it omniscient or is it somewhat isolated from one part of the jeep?

hard to explain....Here is a google answer
A differential carrier assembly includes a differential carrier and a differential casing having a ring gear that is supported on right and left differential bearings for rotation about a differential axis. The right and left differential bearings are each supported in respective right and left bearing housings. A pinion having a pinion gear meshes with the ring gear and includes a spigot positioned on a differential axis side of the pinion gear. The spigot is supported in a spigot bearing, and the spigot bearing is supported in a spigot bearing housing. One of the right or left bearing housings and the spigot bearing housing are formed on a common component which is separate from and securable to the differential carrier.

Ok tax $ on the way , should I get a lift or new shoes for my 94 . mostly be hitting trails while camping , and what is the biggest tires that will fit a stockXJ ,, if I go with a lift, 3'' will prob do ,, prob a R/E or a R/C w/ new leafs, tire wise looking at bfg a/t, any input would be helpful , Thanks

1st picture: empty axle housing
2nd: a carrier with no ring gear or pinion gear shown (and a LSD on the side too...) the cone shaped bearings sit right about where the orange ring is on the left side of the housing in the 1st picture
3rd picture: a diff shown without carrier bearings, but you can imagine where they'd go.

pic9.JPG

vc3.gif

differential.jpg

ok i took the jeep to a mechanic and he drove it and said its my front wheelbearings. so im gonna give that a shot and hope it cures it. thanks for the help guys, ill know where to check next if this doesnt work.

that's common... it's an easy fix too.

Back