• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Modification

akajimmy

NAXJA Forum User
Hi my name is James and this is my first post, so I hope I am posting my questions in the right spot.

I have recently have gotten a 1999 Jeep Cherokee. I want to make it trail ready. Currently It has no upgrades. It has the standard differential in the rear axle (lame!) but I am wanting to replace it with one off of the old Wagoneers. I also know that I will probably have to replace the gears for the front axle.

I want to know how I should go about doing this, not step by step but just looking for some good advice.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Command-Trac 4x4
4.0L Inline 6 engine
Automatic 4 speed Tranny

Add some additional information to your post to help us out. What tire size do you want to run? What STOCK axle do you have? If is the 8.25, you can run up to 35" tires and be ok. Do some reading on here, and compile some goals. People are more than willing to give advice once you know where you want to head.

I have the 8.25 but I have open differential in the back, i want to know if i should get lockers or new axle and regear the front, because the open differential does not cut it for climbing.

I'm sure someone will say this but you can search and check the FAQ threads...there is a TON of info out there.
I think a 2" lift will allow 30" maybe 31"?

You could go with an all-Cherokee bastard pack out back - add the main leaf for one inch, add the 2nd for 2 inches. HD Offroad Engineering makes shackle relocation brackets that add a little lift & help you get the most out of your leaves - I've heard nothing but GREAT reviews. The brackets + stock shackles + single leaf bastard = 2" or so with good ride and flex characteristics.
the coil springs from a V8 Grand Cherokee (93-98) will give you 1.5" or so, add a stock Coil Spring Isolator or spacer from Quadratec (20 bucks shipped for two isolators, 5/8" thick apiece) to get you the rest of the way.
Add bumpstops, gears, 31" tires & an Aussie Locker in the back - call it a day. You could build the lift for under 100 bucks if you know how to be patient in a junkyard.

James. Your 99 has 3.55's and open diffs. Your 8.25 rear has the stronger 29 spline set up and there is really no need to swap in a jy 44 because they are very similar in strength. Consider spending your dollars on suspension upgrades, tires and perhaps a front locker. Consider a 3 inch or so lift using a bastard pak and taller coils and avoid having to do an SYE. Shim your rear leafs and adjust your track bar as well as get some shock extenders or buy new ones. New Mexico does get fair snow at upper elevations so locking your rear may not be the best decision so perhaps a front locker would be a way to go. You mention regearing your front axle but you do realize that both diffs need the same gear ratio. If you keep your tire size to 31 or less, then your current 3.55's could take you a long way. Now go beat the crap out of it and learn what it can do for you.
And make sure your brakes are in excellent condition with new rotors, pads, shoes and internals if needed. If you can't stop safely, it will be a very short ride. Save any regearing for a serious upgrade in tire size.
Unless you are loaded. And my advice would be simpler...do your research and go shopping. Your XJ can absorb any money and time you want to throw at it.

James, any build planned out starts with, answering the basic questions: what will the primary use of my Jeep be? And what kind of 4 wheeling will I really be doing? Answer those questions them talk about a build. Then remember that each thing you will change results in changing something else and it never stops.
Good luck!:peace:

IMHO you should get an all inclusive lift kit in the 4-4.5" range (such as an RE with full leaf packs) and a couple of Aussie lockers. This approach will give you a fantastically capable rig with no guesswork on the build. Of course it's not the cheapest route but you will have peace of mind that your rig will work reliably.

If you are gonna do lockers you better look into some body protection. im running a 2" and you definatly need some sliders and bumpers if at all possible. rocks and other things are going to jump out and get you on the trail. even going with a two inch you find out quick what all else you need.

welcome and good luck with the build :D

Back