• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Rear disc conversion

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1995 xj 4x4 sport. and im interested in converting the rear brakes..
im pretty sure that the process can be much cheaper than buying a $700 kit online..

but my question is.. for some one who doesnt have a big resource of tools and only has a decent amount of mechanical knowlege, can i put on disk brakes just using parts from my local junk yard?

cause i know that some grand cherokees have rear disk...

Don't let them fool you - the search function on this site blows.
Depending which rear axle you have in your rig, it could be SUPER easy or just Moderately easy.
Get the disc parts from a 93-98 Grand.
If you have a D35 axle in your jeep, it all bolts in directly. Only have to order a parking brake cable from a Liberty to make it all factory-fit.
If you have an 8.25" axle, get out the dremmel tool or better yet a rotary burr.
Google search this - there are great writeups floating around.

Don't let them fool you - the search function on this site blows.
Depending which rear axle you have in your rig, it could be SUPER easy or just Moderately easy.
Get the disc parts from a 93-98 Grand.
If you have a D35 axle in your jeep, it all bolts in directly. Only have to order a parking brake cable from a Liberty to make it all factory-fit.
If you have an 8.25" axle, get out the dremmel tool or better yet a rotary burr.
Google search this - there are great writeups floating around.

Everyone take note this is how you answer a question, no BS just to the point. Thanks for your answer.

Yes this is nice for someone to do. But a quick search would give you this: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=977809 and this http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=980062&highlight=disc+brake post 15. I found all of this within 15 mins of searching with key word DISK BRAKE. It looks like it took about the same amount of time to find 1 post. Come pared to what I found you waited to long. Some people take the easy way out and that is what some people are tired of seeing. We are here to teach not to hand feed you every little thing. The saying still stands, "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life".

I know this is an old thread. I just got back from the JY to do this conversion. Ended up getting everything from a 95 ZJ except the drivers caliper. I got that from a 96. I was able to walk out the door with backing plates, calipers, prop valve, and every piece of hardware for $52.:yelclap::yelclap: I was even lucky enough that someone had already gone to the trouble of pulling the axles previously. I didn't have to deal with the stench of gear oil. Can't wait to start wrenching on the XJ now.

Back