• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So my heep is falling apart.....

AZCA jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
...and I'm sick of replacing stuff when it breaks because it's really a hassle with school and work.

I would rather take it out of commission for a couple of weeks to rebuild or replace the engine rather than dealing with stuff as it breaks. So what are my options? I could do a rebuild kit, but is that really what I want? I have an '87, which means it's the crappy Renix engine. I could do the rebuild kit for it, but I almost feel like I'm polishing a turd.

http://www.fastengineparts.com/products_view.php?id=643

What about a replacement engine? Should I find a donor vehicle (older than '00, newer than '94) and swap them, or is there a company out there that makes replacement engines?

I found these, but I'm not sure if it will work or not, as they have it listed for wranglers only.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/51107_50X_PG.htm

Any recommendations?

The issue here is that all the wiring, plumbing etc is build around the Renix engine - so swapping to a full 97+ engine control kit is going to be a lot of work.
What you could do, though, is build a stroker. Google search / ebay search "jeep stroker" and get educated. It's possible to build yourself if you have the shop space to work with, and you can do it cheap.
If you really want to get rid of the RENIX systems... good luck. Might want to buy a junkyard donor vehicle and get the full harness, etc - even then... trouble.

hmm, I LOVE renix - I have two of them and they run really well for me - rebuilding the engine isnt going to help any of what you are fixing all the time unless you're constanly putting in new internal engine components - if this thing is just falling apart you need to consider a whole different rig - I cant imagine it being too rusty though in arid-zona LOL

hmm, I LOVE renix - I have two of them and they run really well for me - rebuilding the engine isnt going to help any of what you are fixing all the time unless you're constanly putting in new internal engine components - if this thing is just falling apart you need to consider a whole different rig - I cant imagine it being too rusty though in arid-zona LOL
I am a fan on the Renix myself. I have rarely had any engine issues except the infamous CPS, and routine maintenance.
What's falling apart? These are pretty simple when it comes to wiring and sensors, most issues are with the sensor grounds on the side of the block. Folks will replace the sensors and get frustrated because they can't seem to find the problem, when it's really just a loose/bad ground.

please explain what your problems are with the engine/fuel injection system.

your 87 is 22 years old and if not maintaned, anything of that age can go bad.

i dont know, but i dont see too many other 20+ year old vehicles with over 200K(my 89 has 245k miles) driving around my area.

From what I've read (which I have done a lot of) it seems the Renix engines are terrible to work with, and from what wrenching I've done on my Jeep some things are a pain. The previous owner(s) didn't care for the engine that well and I've been the one to pick up their slack. I've had everything from no start/electrical issues, to overheating, little to no fuel (one of the current issues, most likely a TPS), mystery vacuum problems, and high idle. Now I'm starting to hear an ever so slight knocking, which I know could be cause by a lack of fuel (too little fuel= knocking sound and eventually stall)

Like I said before, I can't afford to keep having parts go out on me when I'm trying to get to work and school. I would rather figure out how to car pool for a couple months and totally overhaul everything. With the engine out, it'll be easier to replace worn out parts and will give me a chance to trouble shoot any problems that will arrise. Think of it as a form of preventative maitenance.

BTW xcm, maybe you would like to guide me in the right direction rather than just leaving a sarcasic comment. You may be a fan of the engine, but I am not.

BTW xcm, maybe you would like to guide me in the right direction rather than just leaving a sarcasic comment. You may be a fan of the engine, but I am not.
the renix experts on this forum love that motor. maybe if you showed some more desire to work with what you have you'd get more help. take some pride in your stuff.

From what I've read (which I have done a lot of) it seems the Renix engines are terrible to work with, and from what wrenching I've done on my Jeep some things are a pain.

As far as physical work, the Renix is about the same, if not easier to work on. Now as far as diagnosis, you're right, you can't just plug in a computer and read codes. A FSM will really help you with this one, just have to do it "old school". Overall, reliability is probably better than the Chrysler "junk".

Your problem really doesn't seem to be the Renix itself, but that your Jeep is 22 years old, and wasn't maintained by the prior owner.

Rebuilding the engine in itself won't solve fuel pressure, or electrical issues. All of the sensors are pretty easy to get to without pulling the engine, with the CPS being the only PITA. If you have cooling issues, you probably need to properly burp the system. It's also easy to convert it to an open cooling system like the 91+.

If you are seriously against the Renix, it would be easier, and most likely cheaper, just to buy a newer Jeep!

Back