• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very loud whirring sound on acceleration

Rescue xj

NAXJA Forum User
Over the last 3 or 4 days Ive been noticing a loud (it is heard over the engine sounds) whirring sound that starts up as I give it gas, and gets louder untill about 2200 or so rpm. Its louder than when my power steering pump was going out. I havent noticed anything else, other than the jeep may be drinking a little more gas than normal. It sounds like my jeep is going to explode, and I dont like that. Im going to check the tranny fluid today after I warm it up. Any input? And no, my jeep does not have the warp drive installed.

The resivor has been removed for a while, and was disconnected before that for a while. Ill go through it and see if something came disconnected shortly.

give it a little blip when you're outside listening under the hood, if it's that loud it should jump right out at you. my first thought would be the alternator, but it could be any belt driven accessory.

So I poked around today and determined the sound is coming from the engine itself. Im going to check the intake manifold, as it was suggested I should.

had a similar thing today, upon removing the fan belt and running it for a few seconds I eliminated the engine and checked all the pullys, the alternator makes a squeaking noise similar to the one I hear when the thing is running.. so new alternator i think

Its really not a squeeking sound, and I thought it would be coming from the alternator or AC compressor, but they both sound dandy. Im lost. Today Ill poke around the intake and manifold.

You might also check your power steering pump. Mine sounded more like a turbine kind of whine, and it turned out to be the power steering pump going out.

The sound you hear could be fooling you to think it's coming from the intake manifold, since it's so close to the power steering pump.

Back