• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A weird sound from the steering in the first turn

dutchjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

A simple short question. When I backup from our driveway in the morning and shift to D, the steering is accompanied by one 'klunk'. It does this only once and afterthat it's fine. Is this something to be concerned about? What should I check?

Thanks,

Tim

Not trying to sound like an ass, but your question is like calling up the doctor and saying it hurts right here.

But, back to your question. Exactly where does the clunk come from. Brakes can make a clunk sound. The drive shaft can make a clunk sound. etc, etc. My XJ makes so many clunks I might enter it into the Guiness Book of Records.

Remember, when you are sitting behind the wheel, sounds are deceptive. You need someone outside to properly pinpoint the noise.

It's not the driveshaft. The klunk is not from the changing gears but really from the steering action (turning the wheels). Like I said it only happens after I change from R to D but it has something to do with the steering, not (directly) with the changing of gears. The sound seems to come from the front part of the car. Will ask someone to listen outside (or will have my wife make the manouvre and listen myself) to be more precise on the location. Will get back at that.

Sorry for being inprecise. I see what you mean now, was not intended.

Tim

if it happens when you change directions then I would suspect the control arm bushings. get out and with the car on level ground try to rotate a the front tires with the XJ in park. if you can rotate the tire look at the controls arms. i had a clunk, and one of mine wasn't torque all the way, allowing the axle to shift a small amount because of the play in the bushing.

Back