• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 with streched chain...Replace or Rebuild???

wayne2300

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have a 92XJ with 4.0L/AX15/NP231...I believe my tcase chain is streched. The reason for this is when I went to put it in 4H there was major clunking going on (sounds like it is coming from front diff and under cab)...I checked the U-joints and they were all good. However my tcase was low on fluid. It should also be noted it doesn't do it in 2 wheel drive. I have tried adjusting the linkage, thinking maybe some how it was off a little but still does it. That is why I think I have a streched chain. If anyone else has any good suggestions let me know.

I call some local yards and it seems the general quote is about 150 for one out of a yard. What years and trans have the same spline count as what I have??? Is it possible to use a YJ or TJ NP231 in there (just bolt on)?

The other option I am considering is just rebuilding what I have. I did some pricing and it seems like it is going to cost at least the same to rebuild with a master rebuild kit and a new chain. Does anyone know a place to buy a complete kit to do the rebuild?

What do you guys recommend? Bebuild or replace with a yard tcase? I don't have a ton of cash to throw at it...

Thanks....

If you rebuild it, you'll know you've got a good transfer case when you're done. Junkyard tcase may just be junk, and you've just lost a C-note. You might consider putting in the wider Dodge chain & sprockets for a cheap upgrade.

IIRC, YJ & TJ transfer cases are clocked a little different, but I don't remember if they hang down farther, or will interfere with the floor pan.

WOuld I just buy a rebuild kit (seals and bearings) for a dodge version of the NP231 and then buy the sprockets and chain from the dealer? Or is there a off the shelf kit that includes all of this that I can just buy? Also if I rebuild are there any bearings that need pressed in?

You don't have to get the chain & sprockets from a Dodge dealer. Shops that stock rebuild kits for an NP231 should know exactly what you're asking for (and if they don't, find another shop.)

I don't believe you need a press for anything in an NP231, but I may be wrong.

Take a look through http://sponsorship.naxja.org, somebody there should be able to help you out.

Is there anyway you could post a link to a site that sells what I am looking for? I just tried searching for the parts through the sponsorship sites (jeep4x4center.com) and the price I did find for sprockets and chain were easily 100 a piece...

http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com stocks seal & gasket kits for an NP231, as well as both 1" and 1.25" chains. I don't see the sprockets listed there, it might be worth a phone call.

I would suggest more diagnostics before you "fix" the transfer case. Have you been underneath while someone engages and disengage the 4WD? Also, with vehicle turned off, you can grasp the driveshaft by hand and rotate back and forth. You could try this both in and out of 4WD. Make sure the problem isn't in your front differential or other area.

Back