• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission sound when stopped and starting

Maroon XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So i have searched Google, and advanced search on here, and I can't find anything on this issue.

First off I have a 99 XJ automatic, 146,000 miles. When I stop at a light in D, my transmission starts to make noises similar to rolling your knuckles across a wood surface. The sound continues when starting out, but stops when I reach 15 MPH. Any ideas what this could be?

Level of fluid, condition of fluid should be checked as mentioned. Also, when was the last time this transmission received routine maintenance? (fluid replacement). It could be something mechanical but gotta review basics first.

$50 on transfer case shift lever. It is rattling. Search on the transfer case linkage... there is a fix for this (bad bushing or something).

Next time you're at a stop and you hear the noise, reach down and GENTLY pull your transfer case shift lever (NOT transmission lever) up just a hair. If the noise is gone, you're done.

Mine does it... always has. It doesn't bother me enough to fix it.

Thanks for ideas. First, No idea how long it has been since a fluid change, I have only had it 10,000 Miles. I will do that as soon as i get the dough. It's not an exhaust rattle, It does that, but this is different. I will try the t-case lever and let you know.

Thanks for ideas. First, No idea how long it has been since a fluid change, I have only had it 10,000 Miles. I will do that as soon as i get the dough. It's not an exhaust rattle, It does that, but this is different. I will try the t-case lever and let you know.

What was the result? I'm having the same issue, I'll check this idea later today

In my Jeep it turned out to be the transfer case thing. When I start out if I put some pressure on the T-Case shift lever with my hand, the noise stops. I haven't done anything about it since it isn't life threatening to the transmission.

Back